BKJ1216

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read my signature, and you'll have my answer. It may be as simple as reporting the abuse (yes abuse, both physical and mental) to his parents(since he might be too embarrased to), or going as far as the principle and police.

Anybody still remember a certain high school where a couple of kids kept getting picked on until they "exploded"???!!

You have to decide what to do, but for goodness sake do something.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I know that I was picked on verbally for many years when I was younger and the one thing that bugged me the most is noone would help me out. They either ignored what was happening or eventually joined in picking on me.

However, you've mentioned that around 30 are picking on this kid, it might be best to help indirectly. Get a teacher or whoever to help out when this is going on or do what JerryLove suggested and get the parents involved.

The teachers can't do anything about it. The discilplinary system is a joke. They get in a fight, they get suspended for a week. Normally the person would be punchised by their parents, but these kids don't seem to have paretns that really care.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

If you get involved dircetly, the situation could escalate in an unfortunate manner. Some of these kids/teenagers could be armed. As KSN Doug said you should do something, but physical involvement is not the way to do it. This is a job for the headmaster at your school. Yor focus should be on him, and his effort in this matter, for the time being. How old are these kids btw?

Read a book!

KSN Doug says it all. You should do something. You say your teachers cannot do anything? Well, your principal has powers well exeeding those of any teachers. Your principal has the power to make them stop or make them very, very sorry they didn't. And since Columbine and the other school shootings, I think that your principal will be VERY inclined to do so. Also, GET THE PARENTS INVOLVED. It would be even more effective to have this kid's parents going to talk to the principal instead of you. Also that way there is little chance of you catching any of the backlash from these kids.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

Contrary to popular belief, the school is legally responsible for providing a safe environment. If that requires scheduling a personal meeting with the principal or super, so be it. They might even take it seriously if personal safety is in doubt because a lawsuit by a parent is what they don't want.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Unless this is a good friend, or a disabled kid, or some other compelling reason, I'd say no. Several reasons;

There might be a reason that thirty people are picking on him.

He needs to learn to handle this situation himself.

These days, all schools have policies against this behavior, and they are in a position of authority to handle the situation.

I don't care how far you go in the martial arts, I doubt you'll ever be able to handle thirty opponents.

You buy into his problems, you may end up owning them. Will he be there for you?

Sadly, your steping into the middle of this could position you as the aggressor and get you into trouble.

You might find that this kid not only wouldn't appreciate your intervention, but he might even turn on you. (I once talked to a psycologist about this, and she told me it is a defense/coping mechanism, and not uncommon at all).

So, while your concern is commendable, I'd advise against direct intervention based on what you've said here.

Freedom isn't free!