• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

basic karate instruction question

Hey everyone -- newbie here.

I'm doing some research regarding karate classes, and basically just need some input from people who actually have experience with it (I don't).

What kind of send-off would a karate instructor give to a class of children she were teaching? How would the kids be arranged? What would she say/do? What would they say/do? Think little kids.

I really appeciate whatever feedback I can get! Thanks so much.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

By send off do you mean a way to end class.

I start and end my kids classes just like the adult ones with mediation and the dojo kune. Cant teach respect soon enough.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Well I rember when I was seven and my dad put me into karate. Basicly what we did was learn how to avoid fights, and evade fights. They did demostrations like the instructor mugging the assitant with a knife, it doesn't really teach them to fight. It just tells them how to avoid the fight.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Kid's are amazing! You'd be surprised how much they can do and learn that we sometimes don't give them credit for. Running classes with the same format as adult classes is a must...eventually they will be in (or teaching!) those classes!!!!!! Of course it's never too early to learn respect so rules about talking, horsing around, etc. are a must. You need to be consistant, consistant, consistant...and realize that you may have to say the same thing over, and over, and over for some kids to get. Always use PNP (positive statement, negative/correction, positive statement) when talking to them.

My old schoool always had a "word of the week" that was a tenet or positive message, etc. It was ALWAYS positive and fun to talk about it and NO One ever gave a "wrong answer" :wink: . After this discussion and questions the class was bowed out just like all the others..then it was time for high fives and additional praises.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 1 month later...
We close class the same way we do with adults. We line them up, run through a creed or sometimes run through what they should do (Chores, homework, karate, then play) is a popular one. Just something to insert something into their little minds on what they should be doing to make their life meaningful. Then we bow to the instructors and to our flag.