• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frayed and Worn Belts...A sign of experience(With a razor?)

Afro.Fighter.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rags are not worn in normal life and they stand for poverty, lack of hygiene and so on. Why would it be different in the dojo?

Your belt fadde away? Get a new one and look impecable. I guess a true martial artist is like a painting: flawles and perfect (even in looks). Just MY OPINION :)

:-?

At the end of a workout my shirt is soaked with sweat, my hair is messed up, and I have red marks on my body from impacts. Occasionally there is even blood on my clothes. By your defininition a lot of people would not be martial artists.

I'd equate the artificial aging to using your dinner fork to eat your salad. Not quite right but not a big deal .

I hear ya. I have had my black belt since 96 and it has some loose strings on it. But I have saw people do what you were stying to all of their belts. I teach respect for you belt. Never to let it touch the ground and stuff like that. None of my students have done it but I have seen many who have.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

At the end of a workout my shirt is soaked with sweat, my hair is messed up, and I have red marks on my body from impacts. Occasionally there is even blood on my clothes. By your defininition a lot of people would not be martial artists.

When I fininsh training I look just like you've mentioned, but at the begining I'm clean and decent. A martial artist entering the dojo and looking like a savage from the woods should be shown the comb and the shower :D

So I was reffering to the moment one starts the session, cause after that everybody looks "worked" :karate:

And for those who wear worn belts ... why would you wear them? Just to be looked with admiration ... and have the others say, "well ... look at his/her belt ... He/she's been a BB for so long !!!!" ... :D

And it would contrast the "humility" thing in the Karate Dojo Kun and Ninju Kun :karate:

My old BB lasted from 1985-1996, before it finally tore at the knot. My new one is already quite tattered, and may not last through the year. I think it depends on the belt you have. The old one was a generic black belt (I think it was Bear Brand, I'm not sure) with no embroidery. The new one is a Shureido, embrioderied, and cost much more than the old one. I think the next belt will be a "cheapie" again, it may last longer! :D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Belts are suposed to be washed.

Nope, not the way I was taught. You take care of your belt. You don't let it touch the floor, you don't leave it laying arround. You always fold it up and put in where ti belongs. If you were to spill something on you belt only wipe it off with a damp rag. I guess differant schools do differant things but we DO NOT wash our belts Ever.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

G95, Why?

What possible value does a dirty, smelly rotting belt have? Apart from collecting germs that is?

Belts need to be washed, you wear them, they get dirty and they soak up sweat. They don't need washed as often as the uniform, but they do need washed. Maybe not in the machine, but still washed.

As for touching the floor.... Again why? Belts don't stay done up as well as they should, they are going to come off from time to time. By the end of class its common for many of the belts to be balled up in the corner in the kids classes.

And wouldn't that make groung work tricky? ;)

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!