• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frayed and Worn Belts...A sign of experience(With a razor?)

Afro.Fighter.

Ever seen anyone who did something similar to this... Or did it yourself...

-Sensei and older students have frayed and worn belts from years of tieing them.... Brand new black belt sees this....Gets this expression :idea: One day later... Brand new black belt...Comes in with Black belt frayed and worn more than anyone elses in the school. -

( I dunno why I just thought about that so I thought I'd post it. :karate: )

Age-16

Rank/Style-1st Dan Wado Ryu Karate Do

Occupation-Assistant Instructor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed a couple of the guys at my dojo have really faded belts even though they have only had them for a few months. I`m sure it`s just down to overzealous laundering :wink:

I htink attacking your belt with a razor is so sad and disrepectful too :roll:

Great idea to bring it into discussion :)

Some wear the belt until it's rotten that it falls apart ... I think it's not OK. To make it fade with blades and so on ... even more weird. Why? To make the others beleieve you are experienced? For me a person with such a belt is not a God, but a person without any self-respect. Rags are not worn in normal life and they stand for poverty, lack of hygiene and so on. Why would it be different in the dojo?

Your belt fadde away? Get a new one and look impecable. I guess a true martial artist is like a painting: flawles and perfect (even in looks). Just MY OPINION :)

To me, A slightly worn belt (One that you can still tell is black and mostly still is ) is kind of a distinguished look, like salt and pepper hair, Or a streak of gray.

Age-16

Rank/Style-1st Dan Wado Ryu Karate Do

Occupation-Assistant Instructor

A razor? That's sad...

I'm with Afro.Fighter. I appreciate genuineness in things like that. A faded threadbare old black belt has earned its worn condition just as you've earned your skills. It is what it is. I don't think it should be replaced just because it isn't pristine, unless pristine is the effect you're going for *shrug*.

Although if you can't even tie it around you anymore, that might be a good time to retire it and give it a place on the mantle or something.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu