• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for something rounded and practical.

Shotokan is also ofter looked down upon for its low stances saying you can't spar like that. Don't get hung up on that because is for conditioning and no true Shotokan teacher would ever spar much less expect you to spar that low.

Thanks G95champ. I don't want this question sound arrogant, but I've always been a big believer in the mantra "if you train to fight, you'll fight as you have trained." With that in mind, wouldn't it be better to train in a stance (low vs. high) that you'd fight in? Maybe I'm splitting hairs or perhaps I'm missing something altogether. Again, just trying to understand the details. Thanks!

In other news, I called some schools last night and got some info. One school teaches Shotokan, Judo, and Aikido (all different instructors) and you can attend any class you desire for one flat rate. That sounds quite interesting since there is a potential to get a mix of styles. But I'm withholding judgment until I meet with the instructors there. Another school teaches Kempo but it's a bit far away. The owner, however, sounds quite serious about his efforts and you can tell by his web site that he expects discipline (not a bad thing, just an observation.) A third school teaches a mix of Hapkido, TKD, and Ju Jitsu; they call it "American Freestyle." It's really close to home but I'm a bit concerned because it looks a little too over-marketed and glitzy. Again, I don't want to pass judgement until I get face-to-face and perhaps take a class or two. Time to dig up the 'ol Gi and go shopping!

Again, thanks for all of the input!

Grunt

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmond Burk

"A true warrior embodies more than the ability to wage war." - Anonymous

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I understand what you are saying 100%.

The Low Satance you train in serves a few things

1. Builds muscles so you kicks have much more power. Shotokan preaches one punch one kill. Its a power style.

2. The work in a low stance helps you get up. Meaning if you slip and get off banance and you are low you are more able to recover because you are used to being there from training.

3. The stance helps set throws like hip tosses. To do most throws you have to sink you hips and working in the low stance helps you step right in and pick that stuff up when you get to it.

4. Again anyone can work from a freestlye stance. Being a football coach we say the low man wins. Karate is all about leverage. So the lower mans hips will generate more power and speed.

Again like you said its just 2 schools of thought. Its 6 one way and half a dozen the other. For each good reason I give someone else can give a bad one and vice versa.

The Shotokan, Judo, Aikido mix shoulds like a great mix. The 3 styles were once one and the same. They were broken up so they could be taught to the Japanese militay quickly. However always be careful about doing more than one style at a time.

The third school you mentiond is TKD, Hapikido both Korean arts and Ju Jitsu which is either Japanese or Brazilian. But they call it American freestyle. I would be careful of that just by its name.

Good luck

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

So, I have a renewed interest in the MAs and want to get back into it. I'm drawn toward the styles that emphasize strikes/kicks/blocks but I don't want to limit myself to those techniques alone (grappling, ground work seems important to know). Also, I'd really like to stick to styles that are predominatly practical. For example, I don't want to spend a great deal of time on kicks above the shoulders because this does not seem to me to be practical (tight pants, slippery surfaces, etc.) I'm in fairly decent shape (work out 4 times a week; running, upper body) so I'm not concerned about getting physical.

My goals? Initially, self-defense, physical training, and to satisfy this "urg" to learn. What I like to avoid (please do not take offense to these): A style that is focused more on tradition than on practical aspects; and any significant focus on spiritualism. Any thoughts on styles that might fit these parameters?

You sound like your requirements are exactly those of the style I've been developing ... unfortunately there's not anywhere you can learn it yet...

(See here --> http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5490 for details)

There's only a few styles that really mix striking and grappling well, it can be easier to take two styles to get the balance right. As a teenager I took Karate (Seido: an offshoot of Kyokushinkai) and Judo together, and found these a strong combination though to be really effective in self defence you need to improve the punching by learning a little western boxing or a style that uses similar moves.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

One school teaches Shotokan, Judo, and Aikido (all different instructors) and you can attend any class you desire for one flat rate.

Personally, from the options you listed, I'd choose this school and mix Judo and Karate. Where Shotokan ends, Judo takes off.

Krav Maga-

punching similar to wester boxing

kicking similar to Muay Thai

Lots of Knees/elbows and clinch fighting

Various chokes,locks, headlocks, bearhugs etc escapes and counters

Weapon defenses

Multiple attackers

Ground fighting/grappling/takedown defenses

some throws/takedowns/joint locks etc

A very agrressive no nonsense system that can be taught quickly and effectivly. I love it. If you want to know more or look for a school in your area, then check out the site.

https://www.KravMaga.com