• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for something rounded and practical.

Hello. First, let me start by saying that this is a pretty neat forum! Second, a brief introduction. I studied a Japanese style while in high school and really liked it (sorry, can't remember it's name; but it's not a common style.) The thing I liked about the dojo was that the instructor found benefits in many styles and was willing to teach these aspects. Note: our testing was based purely on our particular style, but he mixed in other techniques during training. I trained for about 6 months, picked up my yellow, and then was distracted by other "priorities" such as cars, girls, and other things. :) I also trained a little while in the Army (military training) but much of that was fairly basic and had no real testing. After the service and for the last 15+ years I have not been involved in any MA at all.

So, I have a renewed interest in the MAs and want to get back into it. I'm drawn toward the styles that emphasize strikes/kicks/blocks but I don't want to limit myself to those techniques alone (grappling, ground work seems important to know). Also, I'd really like to stick to styles that are predominatly practical. For example, I don't want to spend a great deal of time on kicks above the shoulders because this does not seem to me to be practical (tight pants, slippery surfaces, etc.) I'm in fairly decent shape (work out 4 times a week; running, upper body) so I'm not concerned about getting physical.

My goals? Initially, self-defense, physical training, and to satisfy this "urg" to learn. What I like to avoid (please do not take offense to these): A style that is focused more on tradition than on practical aspects; and any significant focus on spiritualism. Any thoughts on styles that might fit these parameters?

BTW, I've already started making a list of dojos in my area and would like to start meeting with the owner(s) before making a decision.

Grunt

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmond Burk

"A true warrior embodies more than the ability to wage war." - Anonymous

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm drawn toward the styles that emphasize strikes/kicks/blocks but I don't want to limit myself to those techniques alone (grappling, ground work seems important to know). Also, I'd really like to stick to styles that are predominatly practical.

Try to check out a Kempo school. It could be just what you are looking for. Many also incorporate grappling as part of the curriculum.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

A mix of everything is hard to find. Hapikido may be the best fit.

Shotokan is well rounded for the stand up fighter but it takes a lot of training to get into its ground game and locks.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Thanks folks! I'm digging through my phone book looking at schools in my area. Unfortunately, many of them have non-specific names (e.g. Joe Doe's Martial Arts Academy) and therefore it's hard to figure out what style is being taught. Looks like I'll have to make some calls. BTW, I remembered the style I studied in high school. It was Kykoushinkaikan.

A mix of everything is hard to find. Hapikido may be the best fit. Shotokan is well rounded for the stand up fighter but it takes a lot of training to get into its ground game and locks.

G95champ, are you saying that Shotokan has a ground game as well as locks, but those don't come into play until the later ranks? Sorry, just trying to clarify (I found a Shotokan dojo in my neighborhood.) Thanks!

Grunt

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmond Burk

"A true warrior embodies more than the ability to wage war." - Anonymous

Eventhough Hapkido is traditional, it's practical. It has a little of everything. Strikes, kicks, punches, locks, falls, ground work, and the list goes on. If I had a Hapkido Dojang here, I'd join in a second. It's my fav style, eventhough I've had limited experience with it (Tang Soo Do/Hapkido).

Laurie F

Yeah thats what Im saying. Shotokan was very much like Judo before WWII. Everyone one attacks it as being a stand up art. Which it is. However once you break down the kata you find everything from wrist locks, to body slams. Now I have been at Shotokan for 10 years it was not until 2 or 3 years ago I started to see all these hidden techinques.

Let me be clear that you will never get in a guard and mount postion in a Shotokan class. Well next to never. But to say it is not part of the style is false as well.

Talk to the the Sensei and you should be able to tell if he has the insight to teach Shotokan application from his kata. That is where all these grappleing things are at.

As far as being a well rounded stand up art Shotokan is. Its about 50/50 punch kick ration maybe 60/40 punch to kick. We use both high and low kicks but normally we work all kicks at stomach leval. Shotokan has stong blocks, we basically teach blocks as strikes. So from that aspect it is very balanced. If you can find a teacher that brings the grappeling and throws it will do well with it.

Shotokan is also ofter looked down upon for its low stances saying you can't spar like that. Don't get hung up on that because is for conditioning and no true Shotokan teacher would ever spar much less expect you to spar that low.

Again I think Hapkido would get you more balance from day one.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Don't know where in AR you are. There are a few Kuk Sool Won dojangs out there as well.

https://www.kuksoolwon.com

Close to Hapkido, with some aspects of TKD and TSD. It's also a good hard/soft style that you can learn/continue into you older years. Whatever you choose, make sure you decide, if you plan to stick with it, if it's something that's not going to wreck your body at your/my age. :wink:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I recommend kenpo but, only because that is waht I am learning and I am therefore biased.

When checking a kenpo (or any) school ask to sit in on class (I got a free month before I joined.) Also ask the instructors about other styles and see what they have to say. My sensei is (and all my instructors are) very respectful of other styles and when I brought up jui jitsu they informed that it is incorporated in this style of kenpo (we start rolling at blue stripe.)

Also - ask/check the lineage of the instructors. If they can't/won't say and you can't find anything on the web - be wary.

Just remember ask as many questions as you can. If they become irratated I would wonder about the quality of their instruction.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?