• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bad nerves???

hey yall i have a question when ever i get in a fight i rend to freeze this didnt happen a while ago. i live in a tough neigborhood so i fought most of my life.

i was was just wondering are there ways of getting around this.? btw it seems to have started happening after i had to quit karate. im getting back into it in a week or so though (i quit over a year ago) oh 1 more thing i freeze up (or get tense) even if its alittle person i know i can beat.

any thoughts on this thanx 4 your time! :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
oh 1 more thing i freeze up (or get tense) even if its alittle person i know i can beat.

On behalf of all short people, let me just say :kaioken:!

:lol: Getting back into sparring can be stressful and difficult. You know how sparring should feel, and lately it just doesn't feel right? That could also be a difference in muscle tone/weight...whether you've gained it or lost it, it can make sparring feel different from what you're used to. Think of a time when you were a little child and you visited someplace that you haven't been back to since. If you were to go back today, now that you're older and taller, the viewpoint would be very different from when you were a shrimpy ;). The feeling you get: "I know I've been here before, but it feels so different" is very similar to (if not a little more exaggerated than) the feeling you get when you return to sparring. If this is the case, you should eventually adjust--with the help of in-class sparring.

Until then, just relax, and try to stay out of streetfights ;)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

That reminds me of when I had just gotten back into the martial arts last year. My instructor wanted me to enter a tournament like...A week after I got back into it. And I was completely dominated, The peeps in my age group were ( and are ) insane sparrers (<---dunno about that word)

They were the type that rush you constantly with backfist, ridgehand combinations and leave their body open but lunge so fast you don't really have time to react ( If you've been away for 3 years, I guess ) I was scared to death. And scored only with a reverse punch that was a reflex action ( As it should be I guess ) I'm just starting to get up to their level now. But that was an experience to remember. Expecially watching them fight each other and their headgear go flying off their heads while their falling over judges chairs while trying to hook kick each other in the back of the head. ( Yes that really happened. ) :karate:

Age-16

Rank/Style-1st Dan Wado Ryu Karate Do

Occupation-Assistant Instructor

yo it happens to mee also, everytime i get in a real life fight i start shaking, (not talkin bout class sparring), eventough i know i can beat the person, i guess its the fear of loosing, but i try to breathe real deep when this happens,

is there any other suggestions?

If you start shaking and stuff in a fight, it's usually the adrenaline starting to go through your body. You just have to learn how to use it to your advantage.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• 2 weeks later...