• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Karate vs. Hapkido : Street use/School yard rumble

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think the best arts for multiple attackers are the ones that train you to put someone down with one good, solid, focused, hit in the right place. So a good Muay Thai kick... a good Shotokan punch... or maybe a good pressure point strike (various arts teach them) will help you out in a situation like that.

However when I read that story I pictured this one video that's floating around on this forum somewhere. It's of this very very angry guy pummeling about five other people. I think when it comes to multiple attackers (especially attackers that are only doing it for amusement rather than anger or vengeance), attitude matters more than technique. Sometimes you just have to hurt one of them really badly really quickly to make all the others think twice about whether they want to be next. Suddenly they have some of the fear you were feeling. Vicious unrelenting brutal aggression tends to do better than restrained defensiveness in situations like that.

But that was an awful situation you probably can never completely prepare for. Still, you can improve your odds at least.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

• 2 weeks later...

First, try running, seriously to the nearest place with people, got yourself out of that situation...

WORST CASE SCENARIO YOU CAN'T RUN: find a large wall, and get you back to it. If you have a wall back to you, then you don't have to worry about some getting you from behind. Then fight defencivly and you have to and I mean have to take each one out very fast. Or even better if you can get the groupe in a tight area then you can take each one of them one by one in a line, but you still have to stop them fast. Use objects you see, like bottles, chairs. Extend your attack range. You pretty much have to be very aware of your surroundings and use all elements to your advantage. And ofcourse, if you see a chance to run, Take it. This strategy seems to be the most logical. Its advice, so you can take it or not, I for one have yet to try the above Worst Case Scenario, its just what I had thought up when examining an empty cafeteriem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hapkido, by a long shot. It is a well rounded style. It uses strikes, take downs and grappling.

While Shotokan, relys far too much on strength to make a move effective. The stances are too low to be practical. Funikoshi took all the bunkai out of the kata. basically Shotokan is self limiting.