• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

De-Stiffenization(Just invented that word lol) of new belts

Afro.Fighter.

Here are two tips to de-stiffenize new belts. (I like that word :wink:)

Throw it in dryer (dry) for 15 minutes with a "bunch" of fabric softener sheets.

Or throw it over top of an open door and take each end and pull it back and forth then turn it over and keep doing until it gets de-stiffened :)

I actually had thought about doing that but I just wanted to confirm that it could work with someone else. And as for the crispiness of a new belt... My belt isn't crispy anymore anyway... I just want to get it to stop twisting around into this weird position at random times, I have a friend who's belt lays flat almost constantly and always looks all perfect and stuff.

( Gee I really sound stupid :karate: )

Age-16

Rank/Style-1st Dan Wado Ryu Karate Do

Occupation-Assistant Instructor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nah, I understand what you mean. I personally like a nice soft belt...I received my new black belt several months ago ... but because I began training more days a week it took no time for it to start laying nice and flat against the front of my uniform. I just hated the first couple of times I wore it and one side just stood straight up in the air.

Has anyone ever whipped themselves in the face with the tail end of their new belt after doing a spin kick?? :o Yeouch!!

Has anyone ever whipped themselves in the face with the tail end of their new belt after doing a spin kick?? :o Yeouch!!

That is an amasingly funny sight to see when it happens... What about when a little kid accidently gets a belt that is the wrong size... And it goes down to about their shins.

Age-16

Rank/Style-1st Dan Wado Ryu Karate Do

Occupation-Assistant Instructor

We always try to exchange belts with that kid for one of a more suitable lenght when that happens. The same way we do that for a kid who gets one that has only a few inches sticking out on each side of the knot when the belt is tied.