• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

List of arts Available to me. Help me choose! :)

Hey everyone. As you might all know I have been bouncing between what art to start. I am not yet in the area but will be moving there in 30 days (at which time I can observe classes).

The main three I am considering are

#1 Danzan Ryu (kodenken) JuJitsu

#2 Aikido

#3 Kuk Sul Do

Here is a link to the internet yellow pages with everything that my area offers. Please let me know what you guys think. Like if anything stands out that you would jump at. My goal is learning something that can help me to be more self confident and safe fairly quick but at the same time will be a fun life time commitment ;) The Danzan Ryu JuJitsu is not on the list but I know it is there. It is just glitched right now.

http://www.smartpages.com/directory/search.jhtml?DirectoryVerified=Butte&CityVerified=Chico&StateVerified=CA&DirectoryStateVerified=CA&AreaCodeVerified=&ZipVerified=&HeadingCodeVerified=8009225&HeadingDesc=Martial+Arts+Instruction&LocType=11&QueryString=martial+arts&AddressChoice=&Radius=2&QueryType=1&DirAvail=false&From=&ClearLevel=HeadingValidation&TotalRows=0&listingid=&Tag=recreation

Wow that is one LONG link lol I hope it took. So if you have time please click the link and then let me know what ya think. They also have a few Kenpo schools that cought my eye. Also below is a link to my current choice unless i hear anythign difrent :)

http://chicokodenkan.com/

Thanks all for any help or advice you can give. Oyeah I want a lot of joint locks, take downs, and throws :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey Kensai,

It is funny you mention this because if you remember me postign way back Aikido was originally the first thing I was looking into for when I get up there. I like that the jujitsu has some striking in it and they say they teach almost all joint locks and throws of aikido as well. Hmmmm I guess at this point I should just wait until I can observe classes :)

I also like how jujitsu would help me get a better self defense system much quicker (i think)

Oh I agree, about the Self Defence coming quicker.

However I very much doubt they get anywhere near the same power on the throws as a good Aikidoka.

But like you said, go to a few classes and see what takes your fancy.

From what the Sensei at The JuJitsu place said is that both Aikido and BJJ came from this particular art of JuJitsu. But I guess that is not to say that this style has ALL of what both those arts offer.

From what she said was that BJJ took the training and specialized in only the grappling and they train almost no striking at all (if any) and also that BJJ schools do not teach the low level students how to roll and break fall properly and that BJJ school tend to have a LOT more injury in class. She Also said something to the affect of Aikido. While it may have come from this art it did specialize in the throws and so on so I am sure it does have al ot more power and specilization in the throws and joint locks and maybe redirecting power and the smooth flow and so on.

I am thinking that the Danzan Ryu kodenken JuJitsu would be well rounded and cool for self defence though. I looked it up and it s recognized by all the authorities on the subject :) and the school in Chico is nationaly registered and it all looks very legit and non McDojo :)

yeah right now the kuk sul do is out cause i think it is more of a striking art. but I am still up in the air between aikido and JuJitsu. Also can Aikido be used for the offensive? or is it PURELY defensive in nature?

Like if I am in a situation where a guy is bigger than me and I KNOW for a fact he is going to swing sooner or later I would rather make the first blow and just take him out (if possible) :)