• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

crosstraining into other ma's

I train once a week in Shotokan and once a week in Aikido. I'd really like to do more but I've just not got time. Ideally, I'd like to train in Shotokan at least 2, but preferably 3, times a week, but my schedule is too packed with other stuff that I can't quit right now.

That's partly why I took up aikido (because my schedule was too tight and the other training times of my karate club didn't fit in anywhere, but the aikido club training times fitted into one of my 'free' days).

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
like you develop bad habits because your not used to training in another ma' kyle-san ?

Or because the two different ma's do things differently. Personally, I did karate for so long things became completely ingrained, stances especially and when I went over to Aki jujutsu my stances were looked at as "sloppy" by the different standards. Also the way I'd throw I punch or kick (straightening the knee or elbow too much) was wrong in the Jujutsu style.

Just little things like that.

Right now Im Only Training in Krav Maga.

However i am looking ot take up anotehr syyle soon..Im thinking either

Judo, BJJ, Akido, or Boxing....hmmm that narrows it down.

i was just thinking that jiu-jitsu fighter! how do you find time for anything else?

Hmm, well I have around 50 hours of Uni work to do a week according to the lectrurers, so we'll see how I go when I start getting some work. I train with a bunch of dedicated guys, so it's not hard to get extra training in. However, training is basically my social life, it's practically non-existant outside BJJ. It's the only way to go if I'm going to have a MMA fight one day I think - I'm quite prepared to make the 'sacrifices', 'cause to me they're not sacrifices. :)

There are always two choices, two paths. One choice is easy and its only reward is it's easy.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

Well, I'm with Tombstone, I fon;t really have much of a style, when I was younger though I did practition in Karate when I was 7, and then I practiced in Tae Kwan Do when I was in the 6th grade. But I now practice alone, well not really alone I have a few friends that I practice with. We learn from books, and movies, and other methods that I won't say at the momment. Well I do kinda take Aikido now, my Principle at my high school has practiced in Aikido for 20 years, and he is teaching me some useful stuff.

Yup :)

I think that a person she be at least a brown or so before they delve into other arts, unless they are totally different. I would not necessarily do TKD and shotokan that the same time, but boxing and wrestling yes. I say that because sometimes, the closer to things are, the more confusing they can be. Example, I speak Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. I have a hard time not mixing them up sometime. But no problem with any of those languages and Japanese, which I also speak. I think that if you start at 2 ranges of a spectrum and work inward, it is easier to remember. Ask any boxer who has competed in kickboxing how hard it is to adjust to a boxer stance, and vice-versa.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.