• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

crosstraining into other ma's

I have studied a few martial arts, but you know the saying, whats right for you, well i only found the right one after 7 months of training in various ma's ,

I currently train in boxing and brazilian jiu-jitsu, and am saving up ebough money to take a few private kali classes to familiarize myself with kali stick and knife fighting, i would just like to know, what martial arts you guys cross train in ? and how your time is distributed?

i personnaly train 3 times a week in bjj and boxing 1 time a week.

and what are your thoughts on cross training? :nod:

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I currently train only in karate. Our school brings in teachers of other MAs so that we can "try before we buy". I know that later on I'm going to look for into other arts, and have nothing against cross training. But thanks to my school's seminars I have a better idea of what arts I like.

Incidentaly, one of the seminars I've attended was a for kali. It seems very simple, along the lines of the thai stuff. :P

I'm all for cross training, I think it's essential for becoming a complete and well rounded fighter.

I train in whatever I can, I've recently upped my training to include:

Primarily BJJ (5-7x a week), but also some judo, boxing, muay thai, kickboxing or greco roman wrestling 2x a week with the BJJ.

There are always two choices, two paths. One choice is easy and its only reward is it's easy.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

The only downside to crosstraining [that I've found] is that I tend to shift into bad habits from one style or another (say, Karate) when I'm trying to train in something else (Jujutsu). It leads to many long sparring matches with my sensei while he tries to root them all out. :(

Currently I'm just doing Jujutsu 3x a week.