• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

colour of belt system???? quick anyone??

I think it's kind of stupid that some dojos require you to be 16 before you are able to reach shodan.

I think that's an excellent policy. I've found very few people under 16 or 18 that really understand what they're doing and are able to teach it to others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has mentioned Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu yet.

kids, 15 and under

white

yellow

orange

green

adults, 16 and over

white

blue

purple

brown

black

restrictions

-you must be at least 16 to hold a blue belt. this rule is SOMETIMES violated in special cases, but it's NEVER given to anyone younger than 15

-you must be at least 18 to hold a black belt. no exceptions

degrees of black belts

unlike color promotions, degrees of black belts are NOT awarded on merit; if someone is continuously training (ie hasnt quit), one degree is added every three years. it is therefore theoretically possible to have a 6th degree black belt to be better than a 7th. once 10 degrees has been reached, you never advance further-- 10th degree black belt is the highest rank.

when one reaches the 9th degree black belt level, the belt itself is no longer solid black, it alternates between red and black (VERY cool hehehe http://www.pedrosauer.com/images/relson-sem2.jpg ). the degrees are still kept

at 10th degree, the belt is now solid red. the degrees are still kept. http://www.maxercise.com/images/gallery/Max07.jpg

quick note: ive heard that carlson gracie will award a green to an adult in between white and blue, but im not sure

source : http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39322&highlight=BJJ+belt+system

White Belt - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

My new school (which is Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan) goes like this:

white 10th gup

yellow 9th gup

gold 8th gup

orange 7th gup

green 6th gup

purple 5th gup

blue 4th gup

brown 3rd gup

red 2nd gup

black with white stripe 1st gup

black 1st dan

Laurie F

When a youth is old enough to go into the adults' class, he starts over at adult white no matter what rank they are.

So it completely ignores any achievement made before you become a legal adult?

Well, yeah. I know it sounds really harsh. Some of the kids in my class are really high in rank. But the reason why is because in my association all adult white belts must perform a kata (h-form 1). For example, if a youth purple belt is finally old enough to be in the adult class, he can't really keep his pruple belt for two main reasons:

1) He/she has to be a white belt to do their kata at a tournament

2) He/she can't stay a purple belt because that means that they have already been in the adult class for awhile, and they haven't.

Our youth and adult classes are run differently and taught different things. Ya, when I first heard about that, I had the same reaction as you. But it makes sense now.

"By the time I was fifteen, I became a white belt."

my school Go kan ryu karate do

white (10th kyu)

white yellow stripe (9th kyu)

yellow (8th kyu)

yellow orange stripe (8th kyu ho)

orange (7th kyu)

green (6th kyu) that's me!

blue (5th kyu)

red (4th kyu)

brown (3rd kyu)

brown 1 black stripe (2nd kyu)

brown 2 black stripes (1st kyu)

black -( shodan ho)

black first dan shodan etc etc

My TKD school goes like this:

White

Yellow

Orange

Green

Blue

Purple

Red

2nd Brown

1st Brown

Jr. Black (kids only)

Black

I included kyu in my karateforums signature before I got my black belt. So it would look like this: "2nd Degree Brown Belt (2nd kyu) in Modern-American Tae Kwon Do" Like Sai said, it's a much more effective way of stating rank than telling someone the color of your belt (if you even have colored belts). It's sort of like talking to a student who's in his fourth year of college. You ask him if he's excited to be graduating soon...then you find out he's studying to become a doctor, and still has four more years of school left. So it's sort of like that.

:karate:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I really like a requirement my master put on us (the students) for the black belt rank, which was to attend the 12 hour first aid and CPR class. It is really important incase of emergancies, and most martial artists from the old days are also great healers.

Each style really does vary...here is my two cents for two dojos, even though its kinda repetative

Shito-Ryu

White

Red (smaller kids only)

Orange

Yellow

Blue

Purple (2 tips)

Green (3 tips)

Brown (4 tips I think)

Black

Shudokan

White

Orange

Yellow

Blue

Purple

Green

Brown

Shodan-ho

Shodan

They skip the many tips in Shudokan and run on a strict 4 months on a belt then test for higher basis

Patience is a grand- either you can learn it or I can make you learn it.