• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What woudl be better, sword or staff?

BKJ1216

The choice of weapons is a personal thing to me. I've learned the bo, chucks, sai, balisong knife, and eskrima sticks. And although I like them all, if it came down to practicality, I'd choose the eskrima sticks, bo, or even a blade just because they are more available.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everybody.

Here's a point about the safety of weapons to ponder. I hope that it helps.

A real, sharpened sword when used on an opponent can slice through bone. A bo can shatter bones.

Whatever we do, let's have fun but be careful.

I've read many times that a (european) quarterstaff expert would ALWAYS overcome a (european) swordsman....

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Think about this:

If you were into a scenario where a fight was inevitable, it would be a lot easier to find some sort of stick (possibly like an escrima, or in your case, BO) than to find a perfectly sharpened samurai sword. Obviously, noone really carries a sword or a bo in their back pocket, at least not where i come from.

"By the time I was fifteen, I became a white belt."

In the year 1625 England and Spain were at war and Peeke was serving in an English naval squadron, under the command of the Earl of Essex, which was attacking a Spanish naval stronghold. After heavy and accurate bombardment the English captured the fortress, whereupon, they sent forces ashore to carry the attack inland. In the wake of the English landings sailors were sent ashore to forage for food. Richard Peeke, of Tavistock in Devon, was among them. Unwisely he foraged alone and paid the price for his mistake when he was attacked by a patrol of spanish musketers. After a furious fight, during which Peeke was wounded twice, he was captured and taken in chains to Cales ( Cadiz ). from there he was transfered to Xeres where he was put on trial. Present at his trial, which in reality was a miitary interrogation, were four Dukes, four Marquesses, and four Earls. After much questioning Peeke was asked if he thought that the Spanish soldiers present would prove such 'hennes' as the English when they landed in England the following yeare. "

"No" replied Peeke. "They would prove to be pullets or chickens."

Peeke's insolent reply brought forth an angry response from the Spaniards.

"Darst thou then ( quoth Duke Mdyna, with a brow half angry ) fight with one of these Spanish pullets."

Peeke replied that,

"...hee was unworthy the name of an Englishman, that should refuse to fight with one man of any nation whatsoever."

At this Peek's chains and shackles were removed and a space was created for him to fight a Spanish champion by the name of Tiago. Both were armed with Rapier and Poinard. The ensuing fight continued for some time before Peeke, using the guard of the poinard, trapped the blade of Tiago's rapier and simultaniously swept the Spaniards feet from under him. Peeke's rapier, held to the throat of senor Tiago brought forth the necessary capitulation. Spanish pride had been sorely wounded and it was demanded of Peeke whether he would be willing to fight another Spaniard. Peeke replied in the affirmative provided he was allowed to fight with.

"... mine owne countrrey weapon called the quarter - staffe."

Upon this remark the Spanish unscrewed the head from a Halbered to create a makeshift Quarterstaff. Armed with the weapon of his choice Peeke stood ready to meet his next challenger. However the Spanish were clearly no longer so confident in the prowess of their soldiers for, to Peeke's consternation, two Swordsmen stepped forward to fight him. Peeke sarcastically asked if more would like to join them. The Duke of Medyna asked how many he desired to fight.

"Any number under sixe". replied Peeke.

The Duke smiled scornfully and beckoned a third man to join the original two. Peeke and the rapier men warily traversed each other, all the while thrusting and warding, till finally Peeke gambled on an all out attack. His first blow a left one of his adversaries dead and his subsequent blows left the other two injured and disarmed. No doubt they also left the spanish seriously questioning the wisdom of their invasion plans. Peeke's feat so impressed his Spanish captors that they released him and granted him safe conduct to England.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Well obviously a sword would be more effective then a bo,because of it's shape and sharpness,however if you are wanting to do weapons training to know how to defend yourself on street,bo is probably your best choice,because no one these days walks around with a sword in their jacket or carried on the back,that's just in movies like the High Lander.

You may not carry a bo either,but you can use a piece of wood on street,if you're lucky to find one near you,in same way as you would use the bo.

In a night club,where there's almost always fights, if the club has a pool table you can use the pool cues in exact same way as the bo.

However, if in a club with no pool tables you could also use one of the chairs to block against a knife in almost same way as a bo.

Any kind of stick defense is your best bet for weapon training for self-defense,because stick fighting techniques can be used with almost anything you can pick up.

If you want weapons training just for fun,then any weapons training can be good.

I know how to use bo,sai,tonfa.My favourite is bo.

Hello everybody.

Here's a point about the safety of weapons to ponder. I hope that it helps.

A real, sharpened sword when used on an opponent can slice through bone. A bo can shatter bones.

Whatever we do, let's have fun but be careful.

Very true,but broken bones is better then sliced bones.But neither is obviously better.

Well obviously a sword would be more effective then a bo

I'm afraid I'm not a great believer in "well obviously".

BTW, the English short staff/quarterstaff is considerably longer than a Bo, about 8 or 9 feet in length...

The fact is, swords, bos and quarterstaves could not be carried in public and are unlikely to be readily available (though some alternative to the sticks/staffs might be). The "Best" weapon is the one that you have access to....

A sword is a better weapon, its more offensive and destructive weapon. While a Bo/Staff is a great weapon, a sword with a defesive stroke has the "cutting" ability, which is good because while it may not win the fight, a nice slice will slow down someone considerably. Not to mention that a well trained swordsman will be able to cut through a wooden staff if they try to block with it. You would have to parry with a staff in order to avoid losing your staff to a sword. Sword in my opinion is the second most dominating melee weapon, first being a naginata, which is a fluid mix of staff and sword.

2nd Dan / Shorin Ryu

1st Dan / WTF TKD

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it...