• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What woudl be better, sword or staff?

BKJ1216

Yeah when I start karate I also want to do a little weapons training. But I don't know which I would like to use. I'm really partial to the staff(I think the proper name for it is "bo") but I already have a samuri sword. Also when is it wise to begin weapons training? Should I start as soon as a start karate. Or once I've becomd expirience like 1st dan level?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First figure out what kind of weapon training you want to do - self-defence/modern/traditional etc.. As many ppl out here know, I use the farming implements of Okinawa (stop laughing Kensai!!)

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Well I already own a sword, but I think the bo would be a lot safer to train with, I mean like if I hit someone with it i woudln't cut them. If I hit me with it I woudln'tcut myself, those sort of thigns.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

A lot too will depend upon which school you decide upon and what their policies are toward weapons training. Many schools have rank requirements that must be met before a student is permitted in weapons class. Then there may also be a curriculum that is followed - weapons are taken up in a certain order.

We don't start training with a sharpened sword until a very high level. Wooden sword as under belts, aluminum practice swords after 1st dan. However, bong (Korean for bo) is taught even before sword. Many of the movements you learn for the staff can be applied to sword, spear, and a number of other weapons.

I always say, start with the staff and work up from there. :up:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

:o

Staff is good.

By the way, I also learnt

a form of Shaolin Stick-Play before.

This is good for training

your flexibility of both hand. :D

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness