• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MAs with only one eye ?

I lost an eye back when I was liek 17 and I am now 24. I am about to start Danzan Ryu (kodenken) Jujitsu and was wondering how having no depth percetion will affect my training...

Like I am thinking with JuJitsu it shouldnt be so bad because of the hands on wrestling but Man for blocking incoming blows or quickly grabbing hands and arms it might be hard.

ANyone have one eye or know any big name martial artists with one eye? Thanks for any words of encouragment :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
There are blind martial artists. It may take you longer to begin to master skills than your classmates but with persistence and patience from instructor and classmates it should be possible for you to learn a martial art.

Let's see...at my dojo we have a black belt who has had a glass eye since birth/toddler age. He has adjusted to the depth perception problem over the years, and now he's a skilled fighter. If you would like to get some advice from him firsthand, I might be able to get you in contact with him. I'm not sure if he has e-mail, though.

I think if you can adapt to the lack of depth perception, having one eye shouldn't limit your ability to be a martial artist. You would probably want to be careful with receiving facial contact, but other than that, you can do just as well as any other martial artist.

While I don't know of any "big name" martial artists in your situation, maybe you can become one!

Just take it slow, and realize that you're going to need to experiment a little to make things work for you. Last year I got kicked in the eye and had a lot of double vision, so I had to wear a patch until it got better. On my second day of wearing the patch, I had to perform two MA demonstrations with my dojo's demo team. I didn't have much experience with lack of depth perception, but you've had 7 years...If I can do it, you definitely can.

Good luck on this new journey!

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Here are two good articles you can read online that offer some personal viewpoints....

http://www.aibudo.com/kyohan/begin/begin.html

http://www.practical-martial-arts.co.uk/practical_martial_arts/cb_fighting_blind.html

You may find as the second article concludes that your lack of vision can become an asset.

You will find less distraction by the visual elements of a technnique, forcing you to feel a technique, ....feeling the difference between the way balance shifts from the wrong technique to proper technique.

Go for it Dustin .... wishing you the best :) :up:

Edited by KickChick

Hey I also have a qustion like this. I am nerve def in my left ear. It dosen't effect my balance but of course I cannot hear muffled sounds, like when people talk I sometimes can't make out the words. Will this get in the way of trainging?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Any physical ailment can be overcome. Its the mental ailments that are hard to defeat. Focus and concentration will allow you to accomplish anything you want....: (that is a quote from me that I once told a student)

Anyway you shouldn't have to much of a problem as long as you work hard and train.

Thanks guys and girls you are super inspiring! I thank you for all the links and kind words! I will give it my all!

BlueDragon1981 On a side note you stated Its the mental ailments that are hard to defeat.

I am diagnosed Obsessive compulsive disorder and Sever anxiety disorder :) This is one of the reasons I am taking up MAs to build confidence and get a good work out to releave some anxiety and help learn to control my breathing so as not to hyperventalate durign a panic attack :) I have like panic if I go far from home or go anywhere I feel trapped. For my first few classes (until I am comfrotable) I will most likely have to take .25 klonopin (a benzodiazapine) (tranquilizer) just to sit through the class. I hope it doesnt hinder my reflexes too much.

So I got the lack of depth perception and some phycological issues but these challenges will simply make the end result all the sweeter :)

Thanks again you guys for all the encouragment and good advice. I NEEDED THAT! :)