• advertisement_alt

Why did you get into Martial Arts

Why are you into Martial Arts?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you into Martial Arts?

• To learn self defense
    • To get/stay in shape(good excersize)
    • For self confidence, good self image
    • To reach a goal, to overcome the challenges of the MA.
    • Because it is cool stuff to be in, brag about being in.
    • To show off to all my friends
    • Because I like Bruce Lee, Steven Segal and Chuck Norris movies
    • Other, please explain below:
    • Other, please explain below:

All the above for me! It started for me when i was 9, a kempo school opened in my home town, it was a small town and this was the 1st school in the area except for a Judo club at the university. There were dragons on the windows, and you could not see in....it was very mystical to me at the time. At the same time I was really hooked on the show "Kung Fu" we are talking the 70's here... I hounded my parents for 3 years before they let me take classes.....cost was also a factor.....it was $18.00 per month! My mom was convinced I was too young, and she said they could not afford it at the time. So I had to wait another 2 years, and then at last was able to start.......been doing it ever since. Edited by shortstick

"The more we change, the more we stay the same"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
To help me with my footwork and handspeed in football.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

When I was little I took a ton of dance classes, but I was a real tomboy and was more into "rough and tumble" things. I loved watching MA movies and tv shows and begged my parents to let me do it. My dad found a school and joined it for a month to see how it was. He liked it, so they signed me up, too.

Nineteen years later, I'm still involved!

I started for many of the above mentioned things. But certainly not for my ego, or to hurt others. I have been in many fights, and even when I was a kid the outcome (broken bones, concussions, revenge, etc.) was never worth the fight. Control is the keyword here people.

I started because,

I basically always watched UFC and Pride and instead of trying to duplicate some of the moves and act like a martial artist I decided to start up with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and have been loving it ever since.

White Belt - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

I started ninjutsu for a few reasons...

Mainly Discipline, Fitness, and of course the fighting.

I plan to take it at least to the point where I can study in Japan.

At some stage I would like to take up Wing Chun and maybe even Capoiera (sp?) just to make training more well-rounded.