• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wing Chun Article and other

I've found in interesting read about avoiding tackles here -https://www.wingchunkuen.com/wsl/readings/articles_tackling.shtml

Are any other WC practioners aware of this method? And what are your thoughts about it?

At my School they say you won't get tackled to the ground, but the article says something different here -

"standing right in front of the attacker and expecting to "blow him away" with the deadly ferocity of our counter-attack is simply not realistic"

I've also read that there are many interpretations of WC throughout the world. Is it considered disrespectful if i were to use a method from a different School as mentioned on the website above?

Many Grandmasters are proud of being taught by Yip Man. But did Yip Man ever officially name a Successor?

At my School they say Leung Ting. What do other Schools say, like Moy Yat, Wong Shun Leung, Ip Ching?

I know it doesn't matter that much, but I'm just curious as if what my School is telling me is true or not.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with the article.

About the styles and going beyond one's own... Some extremely traditional styles frown on students who go to study other styles but most won't mind. Remember, Yip Man's style is only one of over a dozen very distinctive styles. I recommend the book "Complete Wing Chun" to anyone who hasn't read about the different styles. It is a very comprehensive and doesn't teach techniques at all, but tells about the different WC lineages. Highly recommended!

• 3 months later...

hmmm, about the direct successor thing, that is a very complicated subject. for one thing, yip man himself never claimed to be anything like a grandmaster.

it is widely known that yip man taught people based on their individual differences and even whilst he was teaching, he was making adjustments to movements. so, no two students of yip man ever learnt the same thing. there's also the point that because wing chun is so simple, how good you get in it depends on how much you train and how many different people you train with.

as for leung ting, that man is at the centre of many contoversial discussions, one of which is regarding his training.

but like i said, this doesn't really have much bearing on how good the man is.

yip man, was good because he went out to train with other kung fu masters of his time and he was in correspondance with other wing chun masters to discuss techniques. the man lived and breathed wing chun.

as for successor, i would say that in the chinese tradition, the eldest son is often left in charge of the school...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."