• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Karate vs Hapkido vs Taekwondo vs others

I was planning to get into Martial arts for more than just self defense MuayThai Fighter. That was one of those things that I was hoping to acheive in the future, it isn't the main goal I am striving for. I am looking more for a art that provides self satisfaction. I know that some of those style you listed could actually help me in self defense, but I'm looking toward traditional arts to find that sense of self disipline. Thatks for the imput though, I'll take it into consideration. I know I'm a little new to the martial arts scene, but isn't it kinda harsh relating traditional styles like karate and taekwondo to ballet? Well I think I understand that they are all use movements that are more inspoirational to watch then other styles, but don't they deserve more credit than that? Or maybe I'm wrong. I dunno... Well if I am they "sorry,my bad" :karate:

"Defeat is not defeat unless it is accepted as reality in your own mind"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm the problem with Shotokan is that you may end up taking SPORT Karate with little to none self defense, Specially after you just mention they have won a lot of tournaments. So that may be a Sport Karate school.

i'd say Take Hapkido instead. they teach how to strike with hands and feet, they teach join lock and throws, mediatition, weapons, etc... its well rounded.

And of course when you have the chance to do it, Take BJJ, Muay Thai or any of the styles recomemded by MuayThai..

LightFighterZero, it's your choise and I'm sure you'll make the right one. Shotokan would be good if you are interested in long term results, in perfection of techiniques and controlling your body and mind. It would make you a good martial artista and you'll be able to see the improvements. It also has got a series of techniques good for self defence (yeah, dears, karate is good for self defence too, you should read more and get over the McDojo and traditional MA sucks model. See the dephts and don't judge the book by its cover :)).

For the moderators: I see an increasing tendency of bashing traditional MA coming from certain members, whose posts are becoming too personal and tend to pure mockery. Perhaps we all should think better before posting something against other styles and remember we are here to learn, not to mock the others. Every style has something good and bad, and those who spend their time in learning them deserve some respect. Thank you. Hope it would get better, like before, because for now the joy of meeting other martial artists and discuss about our common love it's covered with sadeness and anger caused by the continuous "fights", who are mere "quarrels" without the learning aspect we all look for.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it. I'm on the verge of taking shotokan karate and then later taking hapkido or akido to complement it in the future. Or maybe another style. But the thing is which would I use as a base to start off from; Shotokan Karate or Hapkido? :karate:

If you haven't already, what I'd recommend doing is visiting each of these schools, talking to the instructor, & watching a class. THEN decide. You might read all about Shotokan & decide that's the way you want to go, then sign up and find that the instructor is a jerk that doesn't know his history and the class schedule is all wrong for you or something like that. Not all Shotokan schools are equal, and that's true of any martial art. I too would tend towards recommending Shotokan or Hapkido from what you've said, but then you might visit the TKD place and discover it's a great school rich in history and tradition and will offer everything you're looking for and more. Every school is unique, there's no way to determine which one you're going to fit into based solely on the style!

LittleFighterZero,

Since you are thinking about studying aikido or other art later anyway you might investigate Hapkido further before deciding on Shotokan.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

LightFighterZero, it's your choise and I'm sure you'll make the right one. Shotokan would be good if you are interested in long term results, in perfection of techiniques and controlling your body and mind. It would make you a good martial artista and you'll be able to see the improvements. It also has got a series of techniques good for self defence (yeah, dears, karate is good for self defence too, you should read more and get over the McDojo and traditional MA sucks model. See the dephts and don't judge the book by its cover :)).

For the moderators: I see an increasing tendency of bashing traditional MA coming from certain members, whose posts are becoming too personal and tend to pure mockery. Perhaps we all should think better before posting something against other styles and remember we are here to learn, not to mock the others. Every style has something good and bad, and those who spend their time in learning them deserve some respect. Thank you. Hope it would get better, like before, because for now the joy of meeting other martial artists and discuss about our common love it's covered with sadeness and anger caused by the continuous "fights", who are mere "quarrels" without the learning aspect we all look for.

Yes I am aware of some of the disrespectful and negative posting by some of the members of late. There have been a few posts removed because of this and we are trying to remind those who are involved in discussion that it is possible to disagree in an intelligent and respectfull manner.

First of all I would like to thank all the people here for taking the time out of thier lives to help me try and decide on a style. This weekend I'm going to revisit all of the places that I am thinking about going and see if they offer the things like you guys said. I was also wondering if Shotokan is one of those arts where you can practice by yourself and not with a partner. Like after practices late at night or early int the mornings. I wanted a style where I could just got through the motions in my spare times and perfect them without having to physically hit some one. :karate:

Shotokan does have 26 katas. Many who practice alone do kata work. They can help you get used to moving, blocking, striking. The stances will also help your legs get stronger. Do a kata 10 times without stopping and you get an aerobic workout.

Thanks for the tip SaiFightsMS. :bdaybiggrin: I think I have found my decision; I'm gonna go with Shotokan, But first I have to check the place out again (Last time I went was when I was like 8 :spitlaugh: ). From what I know and remember, it is a very good school and has very positive results. I believe that they have many students that have won competions in minor meetings. I am worried that they are too sport oriented and not really spiritually oriented. :down: (you know what I mean, like values and things like that). I'm looking more for a value oriented style then one focused on defeating other people for titles and etc. :nod: I'll have to check it out for my self. Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who has helped advise me on making a decision. :wave: I'll keep on adding on to this subject so check in frequently. :lol: Hahah if you think this decision ended my questions you are wrong; they have yet to truly begin. :argue: As they say there comes a time when you think it is the end, but in reality it is just the beginning; I guess this is one for those times... :karate: