• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the reverse punch

Shotokan_Fighter

Does anyone have any sort of equpiment and there dojo that measures the preasure of the punches/kicks ect? I heard of some guy bragging that when he hits he hits with 786 psi(pouns per square i), and that's crazy. I was just wondering.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gyaku zuki OWNZ~!!!!! Yeah its easily my best move, and i've put people down with a reverse punch to the solar plexus or sternum. but ya reverse punch is great IMO.

by the way my belt color is green~!

Don't give advice about what you don't understand. Certain styles teach slightly different techniques and stances. You don't need to be in a low stance to throw a hard reverse punch.

This is to Shotochem by the way, the bluebelt who is critiquing a stance he probably learned a couple weeks ago.

By the way i'm a 4th kyu greenbelt in shito ryu. How do i get it to show that i'm a greenbelt (i'm new to this forum)

Don't give advice about what you don't understand. Certain styles teach slightly different techniques and stances. You don't need to be in a low stance to throw a hard reverse punch.

This is to Shotochem by the way, the bluebelt who is critiquing a stance he probably learned a couple weeks ago.

I was merely critiqueing by shotokan standards. The stance was poor by Shotokan standards and practices. You do not have to be insulting.

I personally dont care about rank, it is irrelevant.......

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

"I put somebody down with a reverse punch to the solar plexus and the sternum" was he like standing still and you surprised him? I just don't see anybody getting owned by a reverse punch.

I own you.

Look closely at the picture. (The stance and punch are similar to a thrust punch from a half moon stance in the kenpo I am learning.)

The power is generated from torque originated in the hips, so in essence you throwing the strike with your whole body into it. This can be devastating. As far as using it in a situation - you could make your first strike b/c most people make the mistake of looking you in the eyes and therefore will not see it until to late. If your opponent is a skilled fighter you would use with in a combination of strikes, say after a palm to the face.

One problem I see with the stance is the non striking hand is down. Is this because the strike is thrown after a low block? We are taught to always keep you head/throat guarded when striking, so my non-striking arm would be up.

Just my 2 cents.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

Gyaku Tsuki. Probably the most powerful and applicable technique in Karate. The big guns. Unfortunately it is easy to learn yet bloody difficult to master.

In street application. Guage your distance with your fence and then when mr joe skinhead throws his wild western, step diagonally backwards, (more side than back), check punch with free hand and then fire it out to the face with full pivot of hips, feet and shoulders. So simple and fast it is hard for anyone untrained (and most likely pissed to start a fight) to see coming.

Target determines hand form, if cheek or chin use open palm heel, if jaw line or nose use fist, if eyes use ippon ken. Shouldnt change the punch, it just a different arrow head.

But back to the difficult to master point. What's your opinions as to how to train the perfect reverse punch. Anyone use candle training? Ihear it works wonders but never tried it. Also what does everyone think of using the Gyaku Tsuki to the head, I personally modified it slightly with aspects from the boxing cross? Anyone got a different opinion :karate:

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.