• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the reverse punch

Shotokan_Fighter

the reverse punch in shotokan karate or any other trad. style but i think it is a great punch very good speed and power whats your guys thought on the reverse punch

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is our staple move no question. I myself and not a huge fan of it. I prefer open hand strikes.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Good ole Gyaku Tsuki :karate:

Excelent technique ... very simple and if done right, quite devastating. A good karateka would be able to knock an opponent with this simple move in a split of a secon ... and then sweet dreams.

Hip rotation, speed, power, kime ... love it. It's discouraging simple and still effective :)

I think that it would be soo-wweet if I, or someone would break a brick with the reverse punch. I've seen fellow practitioners do it with side kicks, and flying kicks (with people holding the brick of course). However, the knuckle conditioning requirement is huge. I am currently trying by doing knuckle pushups on hard surfaces (like concrete), and jabbing at hard objects. Any other good ways?

I know many people have put their fist through brick while the brick is lying between cinder blocks, but we are talking a reverse punch here. Has this been attempted before?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Hmm, like bannock, I like the good ol' reverse punch.

I'm currently trying to do a stepping gyaku tsuki, but perhaps I should work on my normal one first eh?

===================

When cornered, kick 'em in the spetznats. If that doesn't work, run around acting like an epilept + flail your arms about while whizzin' in your pants, then fall down foaming at the mouth. They'll be so disgusted THEY will walk away from the fight....

I think that it would be soo-wweet if I, or someone would break a brick with the reverse punch. I've seen fellow practitioners do it with side kicks, and flying kicks (with people holding the brick of course). However, the knuckle conditioning requirement is huge. I am currently trying by doing knuckle pushups on hard surfaces (like concrete), and jabbing at hard objects. Any other good ways?

I know many people have put their fist through brick while the brick is lying between cinder blocks, but we are talking a reverse punch here. Has this been attempted before?

It is not that hard. It only hurts if you don't go through. I have done it with both hands. It was a nidan requirement to do an amidextrous hand break. And do it twice to prove the first break wasn't a lucky fluke.

Speed, proper aim and technique are really crucial to that break much more so than just raw power.

It's been around a long time because it works. Enough reason to like it. Most important though is to know when and how to use it. The weapon is the first two, larger knuckles. They should be in the lead when you contact the target. So throwing this punch at targets on the head of an upright fighter might not be a good idea. Too many hard surfaces and your fingers would be in the lead. Distance is another factor. In close, you may not have time to get the full rotation before contact. But it is an effective tool when used correctly.

Freedom isn't free!