• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How can I tell if I am studying BJJ or judo?

It's a pity you have to get thorough this. Now you'll have something to learn and help us teach the newbies never to make such mistakes :)

I'm really sorry you have to face this ... you could stay those darn 6 months (you've signed a contract so make the best from your money) and learn EVRYTHING you can. It doesn't matter if it's pure judo or BJJ. BJJ it's a mixture of other styles thus you'll never have to worry you are doing techniques from other arts :) Cross training is a good thig so you'll have this chance from the start :D

Learn all you can ... it would help you become a well rounded martial artist. After those 6 months you'll move on to another dojo, if you'd like ...

Good luck ... keep us up to date :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judo should incoporate some ground work, a judo dojo I went to had me do the scarfhold, while a higher belt escaped from it. However, as a brief generalistion, I'd say it's Judo if you're on your feet and doing throws/sweeps and it's BJJ if you're on the ground.

There are always two choices, two paths. One choice is easy and its only reward is it's easy.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

Wow...that was funny. I got so mad at you Kensei for a moment. Then I realized you were kidding when I finished your post...So yeah, if you scream that you will know by reaction if they teach BJJ or not.

"A deer admires a lion. But all the members of our family are lions. So it doesn't matter which lion I admire. "

-Rener Gracie-

Just got home and reread your post. I still think it was funny home I got irate for a split second over what you said...that is before I read the rest and realized you were kidding. :lol: But, that would be the perfect test to see what you are learning. Problem is...it might cause you an unearthly amount of pain as well. Ah! But who said knowledge came at a cheap price? :dodgy:

"A deer admires a lion. But all the members of our family are lions. So it doesn't matter which lion I admire. "

-Rener Gracie-

Some judo schools do incorporate groundwork. Not many though. I think that olympic judo was the worst thing ever to happen to the art. Kano even stated that judo was not what he created. Old judo is nuts. They had a lot of emphasis on both standing and ground

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.