• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD Sparring: When and How

I'm just curious, at what level does your school allow students to begin sparring, and what levels of contact do they start at and when--or do--contact levels increase?

My school begins sparring immediatly, even before whitebelt testing. At first there is no contact, at whitebelt level, light contact, yellowbelt and above, either light/medium contact or nearly full contact, depending on the instructor's mood. White belts cannot aim at the face, but at yellow belt, anything goes.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring usually starts after the individual fully understands the rules and can throw basic kicks and punches compotently.

The rules -

Type 1

Kicks not allowed below belt except for sweeps

Punches to the torso including back and sides but not to the face

full contact ie full power

Gloves not allowed

Type 2

Same as type 1 except you have to wear gloves and punches to the face and backfists are allowed

|Mayur|

In my dojang, we start sparring at yellow belt. Light contact with gear. White belts "mimic" sparring with no contact or pad drills only.

My second advanced class was full contact sparring (with gear). I don't know if it just happened that way, or a normal thing, though. The black belts spar full contact all the time except if they are paired with a lower rank.

I don't care either way. It depends how my partner spars. If they are light, I'll spar that way. If they wanna go at it full contact, I will too :D

Laurie F

yeah i have been given a dead leg or two during sparring and getting kicked in the leg. but unfortunatly i have also been kicked other places that happen to be under my belt line :nod: and oh yes was i quick in telling them where there kicks should be.

we usually let white belts/newcomers start sparring after a week or so, and its not at full strength for a little while, until they are confident enough. usually when the student is ready

-= To truly be immortal, you must be ready to face death. =-

I been there Mike .... ouch.

In my TSD school was the same. We started sparring at orange belt (which is the same as yellow in TKD). But it didn't go full contact till BB. I sparred a BB while I visited my old dojang (TSD) and she went light on me (since I'm a blue belt in both styles). Since I do TKD and full contact, I went at her. She had no choice to fight back :D Mind you, this was hardly any gear in TSD. Man, was that a rush. I loved it, because TKD we have gear, TSD we have hardly any. Great fun :D

Laurie F