• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

couldn't have said it better myself mtfighter

The things people say without ever having tried any certain martial arts,although I know you disagree with me on katas being useless,but the difference is I have at least done them before.

If I am correct,like submission wrestling, jujitsu also uses angles by moving in all directions while on back in order to control opponent whether with legs or arms.

if your a righty you practice 90% of your moves right handed and if your a lefty you do the other. No big secret there.

Kata is 50/50.

Im not saying they are the same. The differance is SB offers you freedom and kata makes you work moves and combs that have worked for thousands of years.

I don't know why you guys want to attack everything. Kata as much mental, and emotional as it is physical. Its like doing bench press vs push ups. Both are going to work the same thing its just a differant way of doing it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

really good point champ on the bench and pushup same thing but doing it different gotta agree on that

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

couldn't have said it better myself mtfighter

The things people say without ever having tried any certain martial arts,although I know you disagree with me on katas being useless,but the difference is I have at least done them before.

If I am correct,like submission wrestling, jujitsu also uses angles by moving in all directions while on back in order to control opponent whether with legs or arms.

Just to let you in on a little secret I have shadow boxed before as well. I helped train 2 Tuff Man Winners and One Golden Gloves Champion. So don't assume anything. Just a lesson for life.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

MTF wrote

Where as katas aren't really done for exercise,they're set movements done to practice, what traditional artists believe are away of self-defense,due to their hidden techniques,even though they're not.Most traditional artists also believe the more kata you practice the better a fighter you will become.They believe martial arts can't do without kata,for ex.kata is the essence of karate do.

Katas also involve different kinds of stances like shiko dachi,sanchin,etc. which are very much useless,where as in shadow boxing there are no stances other then natural fighting stance."""""

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Just to make the point kata hides a lot more than stances. You say I should not talk about shadow boxing and I say you should not talk about kata. LOL. When you get deep into the kata you see throws, locks, ways to grapple, weapon defense, breaks, etc. Point is kata has a lot of hidden stuff only a true student of their art will learn with years of of training.

As far as your statement about exercise please. Anything that gets the heart rate up is exercise. You can be walking to the bathroom and that is considered exercise. LOL. If you have ever done kata as in Shotokan you will know they are much more than just that. You legs ache from the low stances and when kata is done a full speed with proper timming you will be short of breath I promise.

MTF I really enjoy thiis conversation. I think it does a lot for both MT and Shotokan. However as you have seen a few of our threads have been closed because it has broken down to you say I say. Im asking you to help me keep it controled. Because as I said these posts do a lot to open our eyes about our own art. So stay away from personal attacks and lets just talk about our arts. I know its an emotional subject. However for the sake of keeping these posts alive and these topic active keep it on the up and up. LOL.

So I will be awaiting your post. I know you will have a good one.

The two look similar, but are two entirely different things.

Kata is not done the way you would fight. Movements are exagerated and posture is upright. Everything is prearranged and designed by someone else. Kata are more about health. The joints go through a fuller range of motion and the posture is more "correct"

Shadow boxing is done the way you would fight. Weight is kept light, the hands kept high and the chin tucked. There is no pattern, how you move and throw strikes is how you would move and throw strikes in sparring.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Just to let you in on a little secret I have shadow boxed before as well. I helped train 2 Tuff Man Winners and One Golden Gloves Champion. So don't assume anything. Just a lesson for life.

Well G95champ,no offense but if you've trained Tough Man Winners and a Golden Gloves Champion,you should know that shadow boxing has balance and that we look at all angles.

So if that's what you think shadow boxing is like,you better restart your training and those guys you've taught better get a different coach.

The two look similar, but are two entirely different things.

Kata is not done the way you would fight. Movements are exagerated and posture is upright. Everything is prearranged and designed by someone else. Kata are more about health. The joints go through a fuller range of motion and the posture is more "correct"

Shadow boxing is done the way you would fight. Weight is kept light, the hands kept high and the chin tucked. There is no pattern, how you move and throw strikes is how you would move and throw strikes in sparring.

I totally disagree, kata and shadow boxing don't look anything like.

I agree with the rest you said though,good explaination.