• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

whats the difference between shadow boxing and kata

thanks for the replys now i know what the diff is it just seems still taht there really isnt that much of a diff between them lol

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing kata gives you that shadow boxing don't is balance. In almost every kata I have seen or done it teaches moves to the Right and Left. This forces us to become balanced. As to where people only work one side when shadow boxing.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

One other thing kata gives you that shadow boxing don't is balance. In almost every kata I have seen or done it teaches moves to the Right and Left. This forces us to become balanced. As to where people only work one side when shadow boxing.

do Katas teach you how to use angles?, one of the most important elemnts in striking.

Yes they do. The footwork and chaning of stances is the hardest thing to get right in any kata.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

G95champ wrote:

Why do you speak of something you obviously have not done before.

In kata you move from left to right as though you were fighting an opponent.

In shadow boxing you move from left to right as though you were fighting an opponent, no just left right but back and forward and round and round.

The only people who ever work only one side are boxers, if you have never done something why pass judgement on it.

Can somebody who has actually done shadow work and kata please tell me the differences? One is pre set the other is not, they can bothe be a catalogue of the masters techniques kirves, only in one you have to remember the teachings and put it in yourself.

(slightly angry post)

pete,

The superior man is modest in his speech, but excels in his actions.

Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Crosstraining in bjj/silat/muaythai/jkd/JJJ/kickboxing

your imagining an opponent fighting you back, you have to change your strategy and work on your footwork and your entire arsenal, its "alive" as matt thorton puts it

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

There's a huge difference between kata and shadow boxing.

First of all with shadow boxing,you don't have set movements like katas,making shadow boxing more realistic,since you won't be using set movements in a real situation.

Second shadow boxing is more then just imaginary opponents,it's also an exercise.

Where as katas aren't really done for exercise,they're set movements done to practice, what traditional artists believe are away of self-defense,due to their hidden techniques,even though they're not.Most traditional artists also believe the more kata you practice the better a fighter you will become.They believe martial arts can't do without kata,for ex.kata is the essence of karate do.

Katas also involve different kinds of stances like shiko dachi,sanchin,etc. which are very much useless,where as in shadow boxing there are no stances other then natural fighting stance.

Bull shit,since when does shadow boxing not teach you balance?

We move to all directions as if actually fighting,throwing jabs,right cross,hooks,uppercuts,knees,shin kicks etc.the difference is we don't do stances and we don't have set movements,we use what we've learnt and when shadow boxing we be creative and find different ways etc.but we still have balance.

We move to right,left,forward and back and a round in circles.Haven't you ever seen the foot work involved in boxing and muay thai kickboxing?

Edited by MuayThai Fighter