• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

whats the difference between shadow boxing and kata

:argue: i was just wondering what the diff from kata in karate then shadow boxing??

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shadow boxing is basically like fighting an oppont that isint there, best if done in a mirror...good for technique, Speed, etc

I belive it's alot more effective. and I bet most of the top fighters in The world today in MMA/K-1/Kickboxing etc would agree with me.

look at what they do, and how they train, do they do Katas?

Congrats SK0 on making your gold belt in less than 24 hrs lol.

IMO there is no differance in the 2. Except Kata forces you to do moves in a certin order as to where shadow boxing lets you be free with you techinque. This would lead one to think Shadow Boxing is better but when a person not motovated is left alone to do what they want they slack and don't move. So a fixed pattren is better for a lot of people because it gives them something to do and not think about being tired and resting.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Kata is a catalog of techniques. It contains literally hundreds of techniques and principles and it was specifically designed to work as a notebook of those techniques and principles. Shadow boxing on the other hand is a dynamic solo exercise for training your combinations against imaginary opponents.

Whether you're boxing or practicing M/A....as long as you're visualizing your attacker as you perform the movements, there's not much difference.

Shadow Boxing is more focused on one purpose, but they're both used to enhance you muscle memory.

:argue: i was just wondering what the diff from kata in karate then shadow boxing??

---

You can run....

...but why die tired?

Except Kata forces you to do moves in a certin order

And the reason for this is clear. The designer of the kata poured some decades of experience into hundreds of techniques he geniously planted into a dozen or two moves. You are supposed to keep the whole form to preserve all the techniques, so they won't be forgotten. If you leave some part out, you may also leave out something you didn't yet know about.

Also, often the moves in a kata come in specific order for a reason. First there's a lock and then another one. They could have been put anywhere in the kata, but they come in a specific order, why? Because the designer of the kata wanted you to remember that if lock #1 is countered, lock #2 is usually a natural option to the other direction. Thus the kata is not just individual techniques but also shows you options and principles that work in certain situations.

there's not much difference.

I disagree. Usually shadow boxing is not designed to work as a notebook of a master's teachings. Usually a combo in shadow boxing is there for a single reason, it is not there for example for three distinctive interpretations for differing situations. Kata is something you need to interpret with expert guidance, shadow boxing is not interpreted and is usually something you do yourself only to better your skill, not to study it's meanings and interpretations.