• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Robert.

Yea, i had a fealing that saying that would come back to haunt me. But even so, striking a punching bag will help you a lot more because it lets you practice timing, power and doing multiple attacks and stringing them into combos. Hitting a board cannot let you do this because you only throw a single attack. I also wouldnt say that a hitting a board would be better for accuracy than a bag because i can still look at a part of a bag and aim to hit it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert.

Yea, i had a fealing that saying that would come back to haunt me. But even so, striking a punching bag will help you a lot more because it lets you practice timing, power and doing multiple attacks and stringing them into combos.

I say your origional argument about boards could apply here. Since a "bag" can NOT emulate a person, by your logic, that renders training with one "useless". Unless a "Bag" can dodge attacks, counter attack, and act unprectictably, training with it has no more merit that training with boards. How can you practice "timing" on an inanimate object. Do you wait for it to continue to hold still before you hit it? Or after you hit it do wait for a specific number of swings before hitting it again? I do not see how this could be relevent in a fight with a real life person.

Hitting a board cannot let you do this because you only throw a single attack.

I guess you have never heard of having multiple board holders, and applying combinations to break different boards. This part of your argument emphisizes your ignorance about board breaking.

I also wouldnt say that a hitting a board would be better for accuracy than a bag because i can still look at a part of a bag and aim to hit it.

I can look at a spot in the air and aim for that. They do not train snipers by having them pick out a spot on the side of a barn and shooting at it. They use very small targets because it increases focus. The smaller your target is the less room for error there is. Because of this you focus more. Although if you look at your statement carefully, even you are admitting that hitting a board is at least as good for training accuracy as hitting a bag.

Do not get me wrong. I think traning with a bag is usefull. I also think that training with boards is usefull. In fact I think that if you train properly you could use a fish or a sandwich effectively as your striking object.

Robert

when i mean practice timing on a bag i mean going along with its movements while it swings and trying to combos and such. Well ive never multiple holders, all the board breking ive seen has been single attacks. I guess you do make some good points but i still think that it is more for show.

i didn't think i'd get into this discussion... :)

...but i just saw some people from my school attempt to break for the first time, and i have to say it was interesting. there were students who were very powerful and that were fairly high in rank, and it took them SEVERAL attempts to perform their breaks. so, while i can see both sides to this argument, i'm convinced that there has to be SOMETHING breaking can teach you, because otherwise these students should have all performed their breaks succesfully. they've drilled on the heavy bags, they're great at sparring, they have good technique in general - and yet being asked to hit a very narrow target with speed and power was still hard for them.

...but i just saw some people from my school attempt to break for the first time, and i have to say it was interesting. there were students who were very powerful and that were fairly high in rank, and it took them SEVERAL attempts to perform their breaks. so, while i can see both sides to this argument, i'm convinced that there has to be SOMETHING breaking can teach you, because otherwise these students should have all performed their breaks succesfully. they've drilled on the heavy bags, they're great at sparring, they have good technique in general - and yet being asked to hit a very narrow target with speed and power was still hard for them.

One of the main things that breaking can help you learn is how to effectively follow through with your strikes.(hitting THROUGH the target instead of TO the target)No matter how strong you are, if your strikes end AT the target you will not cause any significant damage. Breaking boards gives you a visual tool in this area where a bag or sparring could not.

Robert

• 1 month later...
i agree that breaking boards can teach you how to punch better, but i dont care to much for breaking boards, i have broken boards before and i just dont have anything for it.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

One of the main things that breaking can help you learn is how to effectively follow through with your strikes.(hitting THROUGH the target instead of TO the target)No matter how strong you are, if your strikes end AT the target you will not cause any significant damage. Breaking boards gives you a visual tool in this area where a bag or sparring could not.

Robert

Very much so. One of my first breaks off of a spin kick was being held (by my partner) with one hand at the top at the board, not two. If you are not following through or off target or not enough speed, it will not break. It'll just shoot across the floor. It took me the second attempt to break it and it felt great until my heel went a little numb. Then, of course, I had to hold my partner's board and he nailed me on the thumb. That too went numb. :o

Breaking is a great way of verifying that your technique is correct, plain and simple.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

I forgot. Sorry.

That is (was) my favorite part of testing. Unfortunately, the style I plan on starting this fall does not require it. Maybe I can do it as a demo.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

• 4 weeks later...