• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kam sa hom ni da.

I fear no debate, bring the heat, flame on!! I'm joking :wink: , the kid has a good point. Logic can be lost when shrouded by emotion...and I may have gone a little too far at the end while making my point. I apologize to anyone whom I may have offended. *bows*

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

Part of the reason our organization breaks is tradition. In times of old in Korea, armor was made up of cloth, leather and wood. In hand to hand combat, in order to hurt your opponent you had to get through the wood first. Part of the warriors training was breaking wood. My instructor told me this the other night after class. Did a little searching on the web and found other references to this.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo

• 3 weeks later...
wow, didn't know that TKD lady. We usually only break around tournament time. But when we do, it's all about focus and accuracy. The big stacks of bricks are impressive but many sa bom nims I've talked to would rather see better technique than an elbow strike or something cheesy like that.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

Board breaking is usless in my opinion. Hitting a punching bag is a better idea to improve your technique. Board breaking is also usless because the way they hold the boards makes them weak in the middle and easy to punch through. And even though this has already been said on this forum, il say it again "boards dont hit back".

Board breaking is usless in my opinion. Hitting a punching bag is a better idea to improve your technique. Board breaking is also usless because the way they hold the boards makes them weak in the middle and easy to punch through. And even though this has already been said on this forum, il say it again "boards dont hit back".

Your logic is flawed.

Of coarse boards do not hit back. Niether do heavy bags, speed bags, double tethered bags, focus pads, buckets of sand or rock, bags shaped like people, or any other object that is not alive.

So according to you, none of these items have any use in martial arts training.

Also according to physics, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore the board technically DOES hit you back. :brow:

As far as training technique goes. It is more difficult to tell exactly which part of your hand or foot you hit a heavy bag with because of it's softness.

While I do believe a heavy bag is better for developing power, I also believe that a board is better for developing accuracy.(It is a smaller target.)

Also everything has a use. It is up to us to figure out how to use it.

Robert

wow, didn't know that TKD lady. We usually only break around tournament time. But when we do, it's all about focus and accuracy. The big stacks of bricks are impressive but many sa bom nims I've talked to would rather see better technique than an elbow strike or something cheesy like that.

Elbow strikes and the like are not really cheesy. They have more of a self defense application than breaking a stack of bricks does.

If you are grabbed from behind what is going to do you more good an elbow to the ribs or a downwards movement on what that would match a stack of bricks?

What I meant was an elbow strike down on that stack of bricks, yeah an elbow back or across would have serious defensive applicability. But not really down on a stack of bricks.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

Robert.

Yea, i had a fealing that saying that would come back to haunt me. But even so, striking a punching bag will help you a lot more because it lets you practice timing, power and doing multiple attacks and stringing them into combos. Hitting a board cannot let you do this because you only throw a single attack. I also wouldnt say that a hitting a board would be better for accuracy than a bag because i can still look at a part of a bag and aim to hit it.