• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Board breaking is usless in my opinion. Hitting a punching bag is a better idea to improve your technique. Board breaking is also usless because the way they hold the boards makes them weak in the middle and easy to punch through. And even though this has already been said on this forum, il say it again "boards dont hit back".

A heavy bag doesn't hit back either.

I do however agree that a heavy bag makes more sense since it helps you with accuracy,focus,concentration,improve technique,speed and power all at one time.Where as it doesn't take much to break a board or even 3 boards.

It might be hard if not impossible to break a whole stack of boards,but whether you are able to or not,what does breaking boards really accomplish?Nothing more then being able to break those boards as far as I am concerned,it definitely won't help you improve your fighting skills like a heavy bag will.So I agree with you 100%.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think though it's more of a tradition, which is a good thing, but boxers train for accuracy differently and very effectively. I don't think breaking boards is absolutely necessary for training, it's kind of a novelty.

Yep,that's all it is a novelty.

"board breaking to me is usless im in shotokan and we will never break boards boards dont hit back"

I think this argument is flawed. Air doesn't hit back, so why do you punch and kick the air? Katas must be useless because the air doesn't hit back.

Not every excersize needs to perfectly simulate a fighting situation, just a few/one particular aspect(s) to focus on.

I don't break more than once a year, and when I do it's just for demonstration, but I think it is useful in demonstrating the stability of your striking hand/foot/whatever, and testing your aim and power. I think it is more of a benchmark test than an excersize. (like a max bench. Doing it doesn't make you stronger, but it measures whether or not your training has increased your strength). The board break 'tests' your accuracy, focus, and power.

That said, I play guitar, and can't risk hurting my hands, so I don't push myself in board breaking. I think the risks outway the benefits in my case- because I need my hands for other things.

But the logic in discounting breaking entirely because they don't hit back is flawed.

Well katas are useless.