• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is kata worth the time

Shotokan_Fighter

In my Dad's school (Honan Shaolin Wushu) two (somtimes three) man forms are learned step by step and practiced. After the students become advanced enough, they are turned into something of a planned combat drill with the participants actually trying to apply the moves effectively.

I find this method really helps kill bad habits to which forms tend to build. It's not a substitute for sparring, but a way to develop a repertoire of moves. It's like learning the words for the language of pain. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a big problem with Katas is that a lot of teachers have a DO AS I DO, BUT DON'T ASK WHY? mentality. If you know the reasons behind each movement of the kata and how it relates to real fighting, it would make a world of difference in the learning curve. Most of the Kata based Martial Arts I studied didn't explain Jack, but now that I'm studying with a good teacher that does explain, I see the practical application of the Katas I learned in the past. So ask your instructor what each move means and how it relates to real fighting. If he knows, then he's probably worth keeping.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

"I dont agree that kata will make you a good fighter. only sparring can make you a good fighter, you need to practise fighting to become a fighter. if you just do kata your just an artist not a martial artist."

I think kata makes you a good martial artist on the "form" based side. martial artist who practise kata definitely has better true potential form than martial artists who train in sparring. the people who just spar tend to know less moves, effective techniques and have not so good form.

When you do both then you would be the more complete martial artist. kata practitioners i think are martial artists, and not artist. i think artist tends to be associated with drawing, music pop stars .et..c

not just sparring would make a good fighter, but also target training and fighter training, personal martial arts experiences also contribute, so yeh practising fighting makes a better fighter.

sounds about right to me.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

I belive that pre arranged katas do not work,they are more of a dance then anything,and in no way do they help train the individual in self defense.The Jiyu Kata that we train in is compossed of imagining yourself being attacked,then through visualization,you defend yourself.The problem with sparring against other people,is you have to hold back on attacks,i mean your techniques have to be restrained in order not to hurt your opponets to severly,i mean are you gonna aim for the throat,or the eye in a sparring match..probably not..but through jiyu kata,you can visualize an attacker..or multiple attackers..and go all out in your technique.There are some who say..how can i be good at martial arts if i don,t spar..hit..and learn to get hit..well in all honesty..you never get used to taking strong shots..lets be honest here..getting hit hurts,in our training..you want to try and take your attacker out quickly..and as effective as possible,not trade licks..this is just MHO.

3rd Kyu Brown Belt

To learn more about Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei,goto http://www.kiyojuteryu.org/