• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is kata worth the time

Shotokan_Fighter

Listen, just because I opt to rigid training and some body conditioning, just because I would rather full contact spar, does not mean I am training to kill someone, or hurt people. That is like tellinmg a football player, that because he would rather go into the gym and do some power lifting instead of learning techniques, would rather go out and injure someone, when all he is doing is trying to better himself.

When I train, and when the instructor trains, we make sure that our goal has 2 objectives. The first objective is to make sure we know how to fight, for tournaments, competitions, etc etc. Now, if you wish to do katas, maybe that will help y ou win forms and what have you at tournaments, but we train to win the full contact portion of it, nothing wrong with that, doesnt mean I want to hurt someone. Just like my instructor told me when I looked at all his trophies, he said that all those trophies are there because he had to physically show and beat someone to get that trophy and thats what I want to do also.

The second objective is for real world use. I am not sure if Katas are going to help in a real world situation where you get in a fight, with 1 guy, 2 guys, 3 guys etc. We train to be strong and powerful so that we can handle ourselves in real situations. We spar all the time, to see if our techniques really do work on a real person, etc.

So again, to sum it up, as I said, Katas are a benefit to some, but not all, I personally could care less about forms or katas. Please, do not associate that we want to maim and kill people.

Nick D.

I totally agree,this is so true.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea i second that

personally i really do find sparring more effective but thats just me .. some others might adapt to katas more.

sparrin gives you experience in a fight .. katas might give you focus and mechanics in certain moves .. both can be obtained tho.

"Accept what is useful. Reject what is useless." -Bruce Lee

Shodan - Shizukana-do

I don't think kata is a waste of time. Honestly how long has karate existed? Don't you think that they would have stopped doing kata a long time ago if it didn't seve some purpose.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Im sure it serves its purpose to those who do karate. But you have to understand, if something thinks its worthless, then its worthless to them, no point in trying to say its not, unless your trying to justify it to yourself :D

Now, from what I have beeen reading all over the Karate Forum boards, Katas were orginally created as a notebook for the karate students to use to remember what to do... and how to do it... a stepby step instruction.... that was shown to you.. since at that t ime, they were not allowed to use paper to write on. With that said, maybe people still practice Katas for that same reason, maybe they do it for spiritual health, like Tai chi, and maybe it todays time and age Katas are not really needed, since the times are a little different lol. Hey, Katas are awesome, really, if I ever wanted to do tai chi and couldnt, I would try and learn to do katas from someone.

Nick D.

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

Bruce Lee said forms are useless, so I think they are useless too. :roll:

They are useless if you want to be a good competitor in sparring or a good fighter in real situation.

They're okay if you don't mind doing ballet kind of movements.

Most people however join for self-defense,so I agree with you.

However you shouldn't think that just because Bruce Lee thought it,you should say it from your own experience.

It's apparent that some here like kata and some really dislike it. I say "to each his own". I for one enjoy doing kata. It keeps my techniques sharp and allows me to think of different ways to apply techniques. I then get to try them out in sparring. I look at kata as the grammer of karate, you must first learn words before you can complete a sentence. You must first learn a technique before you can master it and then go on to another. Kata helps me (maybe not others) to better transition from one technique to another in a more fluid motion without hesitation or doubt which in turn helps me with kumite.

IMHO :D :karate:

I hope everyone has a great day and a better tomorrow! :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Good Answer :)

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.