• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thought on shotokans effectivness in the street?

Shotokan_Fighter

to me shotokan karate is prolly the most effective art out there for street fighting i dont have alot of training under me but iv been doing it for 1 1/2 years now and i really love this style it is so powerfull its fast stable fluid its punches and kicks are fast and powerfull it doesnt use fancy kick only kicks meant for the street. shotokan was made for street world fighting thats what its for its been here the longest i think so it must be that dang good or it wouldnt have been here for all them years

thanks

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any Style can be effective if you train it the right way.

Chances to make your Karate more effective on street grows when you do full contact sparring and Progressive resistance training.

When i was in Shotokan karate, my instructor once sucessfully defend himself When 4 guys tried to jump him. Now, Besides the knowledge of karate, he is a true tough guy. Also he was from the Old School Karate training when the art wasn't for everybody, you needed to be fit and you needed to be tough to stay on those classes.

i agree with you submission fighter its about how hard you train in the style your in dedication is what its about

thanks for the reply

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Shotokan is as good as any when it comes to the streets because of our power and simple moves.

Because as I listed in my other post in General MA. Shotokan is so well rounded.

We work one on one attackers

We work escapes from locks and grabs

We work weapon Defense

We work multi attackers

We use anough throws and locks of our own to control people

No there is no question in my mind other arts teach you to fight quicker but Shotokan approaches it from so many differant areas one is very ready when any situation comes.

If they train hard as you both pointed out.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I know someone who sparred a good Shotokan person once. He simply couldn't block the guy's punches. They were too powerful... they'd go right through his defense (and probably would have broken a rib or two if it were more than just sparring). His best option was to get out of the way of the strikes if he could. That sounds like a formidable approach to combat to me.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

A well trained shotokan karateka is a formidable opponent. I must say that it

takes years of training and hard work for it to be effective. IMO it boils down to size, strenght, agressiveness and each individual situation to determine the outcome of a fight. The style does not make you a good fighter. A brawler is a brawler, the style will help but it will only add to what you already have. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

TJS, the most street effective form, is the one that that person can use to its most effective.

The more "blinkered" martial artist would say Mauy Thai is the most effective, Salvate, Silat and even Brazlian Jiujutsu. Well thats simply not true. If a person really loves Shotokan, trains in Shotokan, believes in Shotokan and lives Shotokan, then they are going to very effective indeed.

It boils down to what you can use at the end of the day. :karate:

To me, is more the way you train than the style.

If you train hard, long, and you know the weak/strong points of your style, and you do full contact spar and/or Progessive resistance training, you can be effective. AND Crosstrain.

Believe that Only ONE style is the answer for ALL the needs of good self defense is wrong,

But, hey, thats just MY opinon.