• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what is your thoughts on shotokan karate

Shotokan_Fighter

If you can find a good sensei who really knows how to adapt the techniques and you in turn understand how to adapt them to different situations Shotokan will make you a very deadly stand up fighter. But that's the big trick, finding someone "good". I've found in Shotokan these sensei's are few and far between, and it's become mainly McDojo-ized.

I still want to get back into it, though. My only MA related regret is not getting my shodan.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I love it! Its my style.

Its fun, its practical, its easy to reach a decent standard in it (unlike some arts that take a long while to even master the simplest technique), its a good 'all-round' martial art.

Yeah, it rocks! :brow: :karate:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Kensai

It will take you over 2 years to reach your black belt. It took my a bit over 3. I think that is one of the best things about Shotkan you just don't make black belt in a year.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Shotokan Karate, that was my first style. lol

I remember the days i started in the martial arts. Oh how hard and painfull it was, my instructors of that time were "old School" so the training was long and hard, but also fun.

About the rank, as i said, Old School, i trained there for 3 years without skipping a class and i reached the level of 4th Kyu Purple Belt. Now, the color ranks of our school were better than some Black belts of other schools. lol

I STILL have the little Worm in my heart that tells me i should go back and train Karate. Just for personal pleasure. lol

Kensai

It will take you over 2 years to reach your black belt. It took my a bit over 3. I think that is one of the best things about Shotkan you just don't make black belt in a year.

Takes 4 yrs to get black belt in Goju Ryu and another 3 to get to 2nd Dan.

Yeah it usually takes us 2 to get our second Dan but my Sensei was moving out of state so he bent the rules a bit for me. That has a lot to do with why I have never looked to advance past 2nd Dan.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Shotokan is good, basic Karate with nothing fancy or flashy. I love that aspect of it. Unfortuantely, it is frequently taught as simply line drills, kata,and sparring (mostly sambon and ippon kumite, little jiyu kumite). This in itself is fine, apart from the lack of work on Bunkai and Oyo at all but a few Dojo. The other major advantage of Shotokan is its portability. I have lived on both coasts, in the middle,and in Germany, and have always been able to find a Shotokan Dojo.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 3 weeks later...

MMM, i have a friend that got his shodan in shotokan recently, he has been doing it for 6 years he says. I have seen him spar(not a real fight), with another guy who does TKD, he looked pretty decent, blocking and moving, he wasn't even trying.

I think that shotokan is a decene style, many modern karate styles are based on it, what i dontlike however is that it has too many kata's, i dont know why people bother with them, they are boring. i'd prefer more practical stuff, like sparring and whatever, lol. Thats why i'd choose something like jkd. But this opinion may change over time, whos knows. :) :lol:

"Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole body and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person.''-Einstein

Well time has a lot to do with the number of Kuy ransk you start at. We have 8 kuy ranks. Most have 10. Some have 12 or more. So if you say three months at any given Kuy rank you can see a year being added to anyones time in training.