• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what is your thoughts on shotokan karate

Shotokan_Fighter

im new to this site so i really dont know what im doing but i was just wondering on ppl thoughts on shotokan iv been training under it for 1 1/2 years now and i love it to me its the best its got power speed balance great punches and kicks it uses no fancy kicks only ones that will work in the street i feel confident to use it in the street but i have never been able to yet not that i want to but it would be nice so i could see how it really works

thanks

when in dought use shotokan karate!!

[/b]

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well I dont know much about it, I belive it is Similar to Kyokoshin Karate, whitch is a pretty tought standup fighting style.

It really comes down to how you train, I think Contact Sparring means alot, as in non Tag/point sparring.

Welcome my Shotokan firend. LOL

The one thing I will give us Shotokan guys is we all love our style. Now with that said I will be as honest as I can be.

IMO Shotokan is one of the most well rounded MA. Our focus is Power!!! No getting arround that. However the art is well rounded in its techinques. A nice balance and punching and kicking. Shotokan offers enough throws and locks to be effective but not enough to make things messy.

The big concern everyone has with Shotokan is its lack of a ground game. I will and have made the argument that it is there. The Horse stance as taught in the Tekki kata is really the Guard made famous by the Gracie family. So with that said I will say a true student of Shotokan will be a very well rounder fighter.

However as I have stated many times MA is not about fighting alone. Shotokan inclueds a great history and ties to other arts such as Gojo Ruy and Shoin Ruy much less Judo. Not many know that, but its true. Early Shotokan was much like Judo until WWII. The art has also led to many other arts such as TKD and TSD.

The art can be used for combat, SD, sport, and exercise. Not can be as effective in each of those 4. However Shotokan may not be the best for Combat or SD, or Sport, or Exercise it can be used for each reason very effectively. Shotokan has a base teaching of Basics, Kata, and Sparring. With no one aspect really gaining more attention with the exception of kata which is a mix of basics and sparring.

Shotokan also developles the mind and spirit. A high moral code is the heart of the art.

Last point and I will shurt up. Shotokan provides a great base for any person to start from. It has many books and videos and is a well known art arround the world. IMO if a person is looking into cross training they need to start with an Art like Shotokan that will allow you to grow in the area you want but will always make sure you have a base in a bit of everything.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

i agree TJS its the dedication you put to the style you train in

thanks for the reply

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

I did Shotokan with my buddy Ann. She is now a yellow belt. I found that it was similar to TSD. Which both styles do the same forms, but Shotokan goes deeper into the forms (kata). I thought pyung ahn cho dan (hien sho dan) was a simple form ..... not. Her instructor showed me so much bunkai in that form. It just totally blew me away. My TSD instructor showed us stuff within the forms, but nothing like this Shotokan teacher did :) P.S. at testing, they do fight full contact. If her school wasn't so dang far away, I would have joined with her.

Laurie F

i 100% agree with you champ how long have you been training under shotokan karate

Shotokan_fighters creed

whats your rank youv been training for along time

Shotokan_fighters creed

Shotokan.................... hmmm......................

Its ok I guess. :lol:

Just kidding G95 and his karate friends. :D

As a style I really like it. Like all the traditional systems it takes sometime to be able to use properly. Although not as long as Aikido or some of the Japanese Jujutsu styles.

As long as it does not take 2 years to get your black belt and you focus on those deep stances then you'll probably come out a half decent fighter at the end of it.

All the best. :karate: