• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different Martial Arts available in your area

Just thinking about the recent business trip I took. I drove from Northern Michigan to southern Wisconsin and I onky remember passing one MA dojo in my journey. Now I know there were probably alot the I didn't see, but I was just curious how many different styles are available in your area? Around me there are only about two other schools that are within reasonable driving distance. I imagine that in the larger cities some of you guys have quite a few to choose from.

Ken

Purple Belt - Shiho Karano Ryu

http://www.shihokarano.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Saint Paul, MN so we get a pretty good mix of styles. Being a fairly large area (Minneapolis Saint Paul and suburbs) you may have to go a ways to get to some of the less common styles though. Just off the top of my head though we have:

TKD (WTF, ITF, ATF and others)

Karate (shotokan, and 3 or 4 others that I know of)

Combat Jujitsu

BJJ

Praying mantis Kung Fu

Shaolin Kung fu

Hapkido

Hawrangdo

Kendo

Kempo

Judo

hapkido

Aikido

Boxing

Kickboxing

Assorted kung fu styles (havent looked into these much)

Fencing

Muay Tai

Tai chi chuan

Wing Chun

Jeet kune do

There are probably many more that aren't comming to mind now. I began learning in college and my choices of college clubs ( at the University of Minnesota) were much more limited. TKD, Judo, shotokan, or aikido.

Edited by niel0092

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

There are about 5-6 different styles available in my area that I know of, most of which are held at a small community college. They are KSW (my favorite, of course), Kuntaw, Judo, Aikido, and TKD.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Sorry I should have posted that in my earlier post. Well in our area there used to be TKD but that has since closed. If I wanted to drive about a half hour There is Tai Chi and another dojo that teaches the same style as we have here in my hometown.

I wish there were more. We are encourage to learn other styles and cross train when we get up in rank, but the selection is lacking. There may be some that I'm not aware of but is that is the case they must not be advertising as I'm all over Northern Michigan during work.

Ken

Purple Belt - Shiho Karano Ryu

http://www.shihokarano.com/

I'm not a student at the college anymore. I take KSW thru what is called extended education services or something like that. Besides, if a person is a member of the World Kuk Sool Association, they can take classes anywhere (with both instructor's permission). It's very standardized, which is great if you have to move to another part of the country, or world for that matter.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Karate

Kenpo

Tae Kwon do

Kung Fu-several kinds

Muay thai

Krav Maga

Kickboxing

Wing chun

Boxing

Akido

judo