• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which arts mix the best?

I posting this message to find out which martial arts people think mix well together e.g. karate and kung fu or karate and aikido etc.... :roll:

"The martial way begins with one thousand days and is mastered after ten thousand days of training" Sosai Masutatsu Oyama

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well....

This is a very complicated question, it all depends on what YOU are looking for, what is it that you think you need to work on? The thread "Comparative Styles>your style strong/weak points" has alot of discussion on the pros and cons of specific arts by the people who actually practice them. Very honest stuff for the most part. If you can take an honest look at your own abilities and determine what it is you need to work on, I think that would be the first step. Of course, I would recomend arts that complement each other by focusing on different things, IMO, traditional Tae Kwon Do plus Ju Jitsu would be an awesome combination, but then, I'm quite biased. :karate:

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

in general Standup fighting/ground fighting or

striking arts/grappling

but the list goes on, MT, Kyokoshin etc can all benifit from western boxing for better hand.

BJJ, Judo, etc can all benifit for wrestling..

Some arts compliment each other nicely...and some dont...get a good base in one and find another that fills in the weakness of that style.

Well.......

Personally, I think every art is complete in is own way and needs no supplement. HOWEVER, I also believe that in certain ways EVER Martial Arts "gels". If you are going to cross train, I would say, find your base art.

The one you really really like, myself as an example that would be Aikido.

Then train in other style(s) that you enjoy. I enjoy grappling so I do judo as well. For rounded completeness I probably should do Karate, but I dont really enjoy it so I dont do it.

Just IMHO ofcourse.

I'd really like to add some aikido to my TKD. Striking and some more grappling/joint locks along with the philosophy of O sensei... how cool would that be? :karate:

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

I think every art is complete in is own way and needs no supplement

Thats would be nice, and sounds good and all but it's not the case. for example many popular stlyes dont have groundfighting, there is no way it is complete wihout that. TKD for example realy only focuses on one range of the fight..very little clinch fighting and no ground fighting. This is true of many stlyes I just used TKD as an example.

At the same time I dont think BJJ is a complete style by itself for obvvious reasons.

Very few systems are complete, you are fooling yourself to think they are.

I personally believe that the martial arts that work well together are those which supplement your own primary style and fill in the deficiencies or limitations of that style ... that is if your style is not a "complete art" :lol: I mean ny martial art can teach you fighting skills & principles but there is no one style that offers everything you need to know.....