• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New need advice on Kickboxing/Boxing/Muay Thai/Krav Maga

Want to start martial arts for a number of reasons and wanted to ask advice from experts or people with experience in these arts.

Firstly I mainly want to start martial arts for the fitness, and secondly for the confidence and ability to be able to defend myself.

Muay Thai and Krav maga interest me the most, but I wanted to know what ppl think of combining any of these disciplines (seeing as im a beginner) and which ones would be the best for what I want out of a martial art?

Also I'd say I am generally fit at the moment and I damaged my left knee in the past. So with this in view although it is fine at the moment could I damage it in later life depending on which art I choose.

One more thing what is the difference between Kickboxing and Muay Thai?

thanks for any advice I get

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Perhaps you would get more advice if you posted this in the "Starting Martial Arts Forum" I have no expirence in these arts, but it is a generally a good idea to just start one art at a time and later start the second as you do not want to be overwhelmed. And as for choosing an art all I can suggestion is to check out some dojos in your area, speak with the instructer try a class and see which school you like best :) hope this helps a little

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Muay thai is absolutely hardcore, thai boxers have an excellent mentality and are very tough physically and mentally due to the conditioning they do.

Krav maga is a self defense system taught to the Isralei army, which is meant to teach people of all ages, sizes & fitness levels to fight quickly. It incorporates counters to some of the most common attacks, including knife & gun work.

Both are very intensive to train in from what I've heard - I don't have any experience in these arts, only kicknoxing.

I'd reccomend some boxing to go with either muay thai or krav maga since there is a greater chance you'll run into someone on the street who has done some boxing. I had a fight with a boxer once, and only won 'cause I kept the distance between me and him with kicks, otherwise if I let him get in close, he would have killed me since his hands were far superior and faster than mine.

There are always two choices, two paths. One choice is easy and its only reward is it's easy.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

I am moving this thread to the Getting Started forum, where it will stay. I already deleted the thread that had been started over there. This way, all the replies from this thread will be kept.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Kicking Boxing, is a more of a Martial Sport than perhaps Mauy Thai is. Mauy Thai is pretty hardcore, focusing on conditioning and good solid basics.

I know every little about Krav Maga, but from what I have heard, its a really good style. Rather complete in unarmed terms and also doing some weapons work makes a very solid system.

:karate:

Don't try and mix arts till you have spent a lot of time in one. You can't learn to skate and ride a bike at the same time. Both are good ways to get you to a place but you can only do one at a time.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Want to start martial arts for a number of reasons and wanted to ask advice from experts or people with experience in these arts.

Firstly I mainly want to start martial arts for the fitness, and secondly for the confidence and ability to be able to defend myself.

Muay Thai and Krav maga interest me the most, but I wanted to know what ppl think of combining any of these disciplines (seeing as im a beginner) and which ones would be the best for what I want out of a martial art?

Also I'd say I am generally fit at the moment and I damaged my left knee in the past. So with this in view although it is fine at the moment could I damage it in later life depending on which art I choose.

One more thing what is the difference between Kickboxing and Muay Thai?

thanks for any advice I get

If you want mixed arts go to a school that teaches mixed arts don't try and learn two different arts on your own,you'll learn nothing that way,it could become confusing.

The difference between kickboxing and muay thai,well they are both forms of kickboxing,however when people say kickboxing they usually talking about the american kickboxing which is boxing with karate kicks.

Muay Thai also has boxing techniques,however their kicks aren't karate kicks.Muay Thai have a special way of kicking like no other style,they use shins instead of the top of foot,when doing a round house kick.Trust me shins hurt alot more.We shin kick to inner and outer thigh,ribs,head,but we do usually prefer to keep our kicks low to thigh area and sweep.Also unlike American kickboxing,Muay Thai fighters have the ability to use their knees,and elbows as weapons,while throwing person off balance and neck wrestle, from stand up position of course.

Muay Thai is more aggressive and more dangerous both in ring and on street.

Ever thought of doing something like shooto or pankration,which are both styles that do MuayThai and Submission Wrestling,personally I don't know the difference between the two,I assume that they are just from different countries.I do pankration but fight muay thai.

What the heck is Krav maga?

MT fighter, Krav Maga is actually pretty similar to MT in it's standup fighting, We use the round kick with the shins, Teep kick, Generally foucsing on the legs or mid section, lots of kness and elbows from the clinch.

MT is a badass standup Fighitng stlye, Hardocore.

I would reccomend Krav Maga though, if you are looking for self defense. It has things like Defenses/counter attacks for headlocks/chokes/holds etc..plus things like weapon defenses, takedown defenses, groundfighting etc.

It's tought training though. not an easy ride, but you will love it.

https://www.KravMaga.com

has some more info on it.