• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Everyone!

oceanwinds

Here's my quick intro...

I started in ITF TaeKwon Do at six years old and received my 1st Dan at age eight. Yes, I was a child black belt, so before anyone gets up-in-arms, let me say I'm not sure how I feel about child black belts. I think it should be on a case-by-case basis. In my situation, my whole family was involved in TKD, so I was exposed to it at an early age. I worked out five hours a day M-F and then six to eight hours on Saturdays. Besides school, TKD was my entire world. I earned my 2nd Dan when I was twelve years old. Around that time, my hips and knees began giving me problems and I backed off of training some. Eventually, I had to stop training completely. I still stayed active with my school and local tournaments until my instructor closed his school and moved. A few years later, I began taking private lessons with another instructor who taught me some Okinawon Kenpo and a little of the bo (my TKD instructor did not teach weapons, so this was my first experience with it.) Unfortunately, this only lasted a couple of months because I got married to a military man and moved to South Carolina. Both in South Carolina and Alaska (our next move), I was unable to find a school that was more than just a "McDojo." Recently we have moved to Florida and will hopefully be here for three and a half years. I think I have found a good TKD school here. I will be observing a class tonight. My legs haven't been giving me as much trouble the last couple of years, so if all goes well tonight, I will be starting TKD classes again the week after next.

Sorry, I guess that wasn't such a quick intro! :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forums!

As long as you have the Internet, you'll have KarateForums! That's one thing that doesn't change when you move ;)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

... quite alright oceanwinds (BTW... love your name, sure could use some now!)

Seems you understand the controversy surrounding "child" black belts ... case by case basis is a good rule, unfortunately ma is big business.

Keep us posted! (BTW ... how old are you now! ... I feel your "pain" now at my age (43).....)

Thank you for the welcome!

My husband is in the Coast Guard and we move every couple of years, so I have had trouble finding a good school. I am glad I found this site...you're right, it is one thing that will stay "constant" in my life!

I am only 25 years old. My leg problems started when I was about twelve. I just did too much at too young an age.

hello and welcome to the boards

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN