• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keep with contract or leave? Mcdojo problem

I signed a contract in TKD for a year. I thought it was fun at first but now it's pretty boring. I still get exercise by going there and everything, but I know it's a Mcdojo. Because it's only 2 hours a week and 100 dollars for one month. Not to mention it costs 50 dollars for belt tests which is a bit unfair for me. Fortunately it's all over in about two months, and I'll be searching for another art but I wanted to know what you thought. Should I keep going to TKD for the next two months. Or should I quit TKD right now, waste the already wasted 200 dollars, save my time and search for another art right away?

what would you do?

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep going till you find one..and just don't grade for your next belt and save the $50..then when you find one you like, start that one :)

but like I said, keep going until you find one you are really happy with. since you already paid...might as well get some exercise, even though it isn't the best around. thats just my opinion...

I say it isn't waste until you make it waste :D I suggest that you stay the last 2 months and work on perfecting your basics. That way when you move on, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing your basics which will help you greatly with your new art :up:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

*sigh*....

..no I disagree. Dojang/Dojo/Bothawans like that are in it for one thing. Profit.

I can't count the number of people I've sparred that were "McBlack Belts" that I decimated in practice free-sparring.....

When the school no longer gives you what you put into it, it's time to move on.

On a side note, it could be that you're simply adept at TKD, and understand it "too" well. For example, before I made the switch to FMA, (Filipino Martial Arts), within 3 months I was already in the advanced class. It was from the lack of teacher ability, it was simply time to move on and find something new and more challenging, and I would recommend you do the same.....

especially at $100 a month...Buzz Smith charges $35, and I think it's $5 to belt test, (if that), and I'd be willing to put up any student, belt for belt, against a McDojo....he's in it for the love of the art...(and you'll probably get sick of my singing his praises...but the man really impressed a lot of things upon me at a critical point in my life.)....he's a phenominal instructor....and *HE* should be the one charging $100 a month.

I say it isn't waste until you make it waste :D I suggest that you stay the last 2 months and work on perfecting your basics. That way when you move on, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing your basics which will help you greatly with your new art :up:

---

You can run....

...but why die tired?

I go to a dojang that my boyfriend pays for (for both of us) $100 each (no charge for belt tests, though). It was pretty boring for me, because I came from another art. They were teaching me stuff that I already knew. Well if you search on here, you will read some of my gripes. Like a lack of self defense. But my boyfriend wanted me to stay. So I decided to make the best of it. I took up Judo for the falls, take-downs, joint locks, and ground fighting. I take TKD for the fun, kicks, forms, breaking, and I get to train with my man.

I train hard eventhough some don't. I always work on technique even if they don't, so I train like I did as if I was still in TSD. It (the TKD dojang) doesn't bother me as much now that I started Judo.

Laurie F

If that works for you, great.

I'm not saying there aren't benefits to belonging to what in some people's eyes seems to be an over-priced ripoff...we're all involved in the martial arts for one reason. We enjoy it. To some degree or another, and for different reasons, but we enjoy it. It works for you, and that's perfectly okay.

I go to a dojang that my boyfriend pays for (for both of us) $100 each (no charge for belt tests, though). It was pretty boring for me, because I came from another art. They were teaching me stuff that I already knew. Well if you search on here, you will read some of my gripes. Like a lack of self defense. But my boyfriend wanted me to stay. So I decided to make the best of it. I took up Judo for the falls, take-downs, joint locks, and ground fighting. I take TKD for the fun, kicks, forms, breaking, and I get to train with my man.

I train hard eventhough some don't. I always work on technique even if they don't, so I train like I did as if I was still in TSD. It (the TKD dojang) doesn't bother me as much now that I started Judo.

---

You can run....

...but why die tired?

I would say you might as well stick with it for the time you're in for already, for the excercise only, if nothing else. You can check out other doe-changs at the same time. But yeah, definitly you could work on really perfecting the basics while you're there, they'll help you no matter what art you end up in. Of course, I'm biased in the extreme, and would recommend a better TKD dojo since you've started it, since I basicly had the same xperience as you have: I was bored in the first two months or so (we train 11hours/week, so it's about the same), but then I got back into it. You gotta like working on the little things, but man, there's nothing like the feeling of getting a new kick perfect for the first time. I dunno, I guess I would just hate to see you drop TKD after a year thinking you don't like it, only to find that it was the school, not the art, that you dislike. :bawling:

yo, $50 for a belt test is nutso! :o :o

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

I got some ocean front property in West Virginia for sell. LOL

Yeah sounds like you got in a bad deal. Don't hold all TKD schools in the same light as the one you just left. McDojos come in all styles. Just got to be careful and ask a lot of questions before joining. Never sign a long term contract.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

If you've already paid for the training you should take advantage of it, even if it is a McDojang those two months can make a lot of difference when moving to another art. I know that the times I've taken a few months off between arts I've come back incredibly rusty and wishing I had just kept going until I switched.

Of course, if you weren't under contract I'd say just leave.