• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you tell who comes from schools that break and who doesn't ?

People either love to break or they can't see why in the heck anyone would want to assault a perfectly good piece of wood that did nothing to them.

Hi,

As you all know by now I study shotokan. We are not required to break but do it occasionally to work on focusing our strikes.

My first break was a straight reverse punch..... quick, easy what a feeling of accomplishment :D . (it took me 5mins to convince myself to try it)

It was fun but I really prefer not to break I dont want to risk damaging my hands(I cant work left handed :o )

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

As you develope as a martial artist most of us learn to do techniques from both sides of the body. At some point in time if you break you should feel confident enough in your technique to be able to break from both sides.

For the nidan test breaking on both sides is required for us. Some shotokan schools do break.

2 boards with a palm heel when I was a Sr. yellow belt. My instructor held & I was afraid I had put his eye out the way the pieces flew back in his face. We did our breaks at the end of class one night & it was a great confidence booster for everyone.....yes-I still have those boards!

*1st Dan Oct 2004*

"Progress lies not enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be."

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."