• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hapkido definitely sounds like it has the things I want. I've done a little reading on it - I need to do more - but it sounds like it's effectively aikido with strikes and some ground work.

If I chose to do this with WC (I'm sorry, I still feel drawn to find out more about this art regardless of any other I choose to study :) ), do you think there would be a conflict? I wouldn't start both at the same time because I don't want to get too confused in new techniques, but can the principles of WC be effectively combined with Hapkido?

I know the grappling and throwing won't interfere, but I'm mainly talking about both forms' answers to striking, blocking, etc.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
In our Dojang our striking is based primarily on Boxing, Muai Thai, and Wing Chun. It is only an issue if your instructors make it so.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

Hello all - I'm a new guy so if this isn't the right forum, let me know. I've been training in aikido for the last 5 years and have my 3rd kyu. My sensei teaches it with a focus on self defense (which is the primary reason I'm there), so I can see its pracitcality in terms of balance, centering, projection, etc. However, I have a few concerns:

Atemi training - O Sensei apparently said that (90?)% of aikido is atemi, yet we don't focus on the striking aspect in class. Many people come into the dojo with prior striking art experience, but this is my only art.

Ground competency - Aikido is primarily standing / kneeling "grappling" type work, but we've never focused on what to do if we get taken to the ground. I certainly don't want to focus any fight there because of the possibility of multiple attackers and unknown terrain, but I sure would like an idea of how to handle myself there if the need arises!

The reason why I'm posting here and not in the aikido forum is because I'd like to round out my focus in terms of effective self defense and need some advice in how to do that. I'm considering taking Wing Chun to get a good base in striking / blocking / entering / contact sensitivity. All good.

But what about ground work? Should I stick with aikido or go to something like Small Circle Jujitsu (because of its connection with aikido and WC) or BJJ? Combat hapkido? I like aikido's focus on multiple attackers and throwing / locking from a standing position, but I would like to get some thoughts on what people feel would be generically effective.

Thanks for everything!

Pankration and Shoot fighting are good, both arts teach a combination of stand up(muay thai fighting)and grappling(submission wrestling----similar to jujitsu)however these arts are a more aggressive art unlike aikido,which I believe stands for peace and harmony right.Also if I'm correct Aikido is also an art that teaches fighting without actually fighting.Using one's momentum against himself.

If what you want really has to be like aikido but with grappling, because you don't want anything aggressive then I would suggest small circle or brazilian jujitsu,wrestling or judo.