• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

does win chung have footwork and grappling?

Hello all,

I find this quite an interesting read. I am not sure that anyone who practices wing chun should automatically need to train in a grappling art. Does this mean that you feel the system is incomplete. I personally do train in Jiu Jitsu, however I did not start training to reconcile a lack of completeness from WC.

I fully agree that WC does not have grappling in it to a large extent, but we train so that we don't fall to the ground. Not all styles of Karate or kickboxing have grappling in, does this mean that they should train grappling too.

I understand however, that learning a grappling art can be beneficial as it is more training in martial arts, but not compensation for anything.

What are everyones thoughts on this? personally I would not like to grapple with anyone in a real fight as I feel that it is dangerous when the other guys mates steam in. However, I am not trying to slag off any other styles, just iterating my preference. Most martial arts are complete systems, just depends on the practitioners suitablility to the art or commitment to training.

Hope nobody takes offence to this post.

Thank you

Droo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi wingchundroo, No offence taken Im sure.

I dont think wing chun is an incomplete art, however I dont think that being insulated from other martial arts / artists is a good idea. If you dont train with a grappler either by learning from them or sparring with them, how do you know that your art will be effective against someone with a grapplers game plan? You will never know, it will all just be theory.

I have no illusions about being able to beat a grappler at his own game as I dont spend all my time grappling but I have learnt a lot about positioning on the ground, how to get up safely etc that most wing chun schools simply doesn't teach. Understanding how a grapplers mind works will help you find applications in your own art that you wouldn't have thought of if you were insulated.

My gameplan is to stay stood up too but I cant always guarantee that will happen. What happens if I am tackled from behind? Grappling is unsafe against multiple opponents - I agree, and I would never want to roll around with a knifeman. BUT if you train with a grappler, you will learn how to control this range and how to disengage without giving him the gift of the arm bar or the mount etc.

By the way, wingchundroo, I checked out your profile and the website - COOL!!!. I also noticed a seminar on groundfighting by JKDs Rick Young. Now why do you think a Wing Chun school would want to do that? LOL :karate:

Hello again,

I fully agree with you Light Ng, when I am more suitably advanced I would like to train with a whole host of different styles, particularily those who do not train in a martial art.

I agree with training with grapplers too, but I was trying to say that a martial arts practitioner needs not to automatically train in a grappling art alongside their own. I have trained with a few different schools of Wing Chun and one Sifu showed how certain movements can be used to form some grappling like movements.

As for the groundfighting seminar? You got me there! :bawling:

However, it is only a seminar not an actual regular class. It is (like you said) an oppurtunity to train with a grappler to better understand their fighting style.

Glad you liked the website, I love some of the video clips on it, especially Master James Sinclair chain punching and the combinations training by one of the advanced students. Sadly I can only view them at University as I haven't got a fast connection :(

Any more thoughts on this? It seems to crop in a lot of places.

Cheers

Droo