• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I hate show offs

I love the fancy kicks :D But, like I have said before on this forum, I'd be dumb to try it in a real fight. I sometimes do the "spinning" kicks during sparring, but I wouldn't try a 540 or anything. But I'm also not a beginner. I know the difference between "real" and not. I do learn the fancy kicks, but its all outta fun. I know they won't work in a real fight. I know I'd rather use a well-placed side kick (and I have) in a real fight. As for "showing off," I do on occasion, but mainly to "deflate" egos that some higher rankers may have. Other than that, I hate show-offs also.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given time, and your patience, the newbies will see which is better. Or at the very least know not to try that double-reverse-inside-outside-backfipping-wave_your_handsin_the-air-"kick" out where it matters.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

But the style is go ju ru, hope i spelled it right.

I know it as GOJO RYU. Doesn't matter :karate:

It's a traditional KARATE style, with common Okinawan roots like Shotokan, the style I practice. It means (if I/m not wrong "Soft-hard")

Chojun Miyagi (1888-1953) is credited for founding your style. He studied Naha-te (Naha hand. The names of these styles were easy to give, because they used te-hand + the name of the small town they were training, thus we have Shuri-te, Naha-te Tomari-te). From Okinawa Chojun Miyagi went in China to study more. In 1931 Gojo-Ryu was offcially recognized by Butokukai. It's an interesting style :)

Regarding your "friend" ... there's nothing you can do, but kick his ... anytime you get the occasion. Do it eleganlty and without any doubt for the spectators. Those guys who stare should be put to do something, techniques, push-ups ... anything ...

I remember when I graded, they were staring and it felt quite akward. Hmmm

As for those who prefer fancy stuff, let them do it. You can't convince them, they'll have to learn it by themselves. Sometimes it's ok to try fancy stuff, but before this one must know the basics :)

But the style is go ju ru, hope i spelled it right.

I know it as GOJO RYU. Doesn't matter :karate:

It's a traditional KARATE style, with common Okinawan roots like Shotokan, the style I practice. It means (if I/m not wrong "Soft-hard")

Chojun Miyagi (1888-1953) is credited for founding your style. He studied Naha-te (Naha hand. The names of these styles were easy to give, because they used te-hand + the name of the small town they were training, thus we have Shuri-te, Naha-te Tomari-te). From Okinawa Chojun Miyagi went in China to study more. In 1931 Gojo-Ryu was offcially recognized by Butokukai. It's an interesting style :)

Regarding your "friend" ... there's nothing you can do, but kick his ... anytime you get the occasion. Do it eleganlty and without any doubt for the spectators. Those guys who stare should be put to do something, techniques, push-ups ... anything ...

I remember when I graded, they were staring and it felt quite akward. Hmmm

As for those who prefer fancy stuff, let them do it. You can't convince them, they'll have to learn it by themselves. Sometimes it's ok to try fancy stuff, but before this one must know the basics :)

yep thats my style alright, we do finnese like jap katas and movements and power strikes like the koreans.

Man, I absolutely *love* fighting guys that try to be all show off flashy during the match. I don't want to come off as malicious or mean, but I enjoy emberassing them. It teaches them a bit of a lesson--And for those of you that think he may not be taking it seriously...I'd find that kind of offensive if someone were sparring me and not taking me seriously....

Anyways...Just put a hand, or a shove, or a kick into the middle of one of their fancy moves and watch them fall. ^________^

Show Offs,Come & go,But The serious M/as will train & DO whts right,& Will Become a good example for others to follw.Don't Worry,How someone else trains,Just Keep the desire,& Keep training hard.As I,ve said Before,Show Offs come, go PS I am a sandan in isshinryu karate. :)

What style you teach?
I'm not really a teacher, just an assistant. But the style is go ju ru, hope i spelled it right. I suck at spelling sometimes.

Actually it's spelt Goju Ryu,I took this style for 12yrs.

I stopped 4yrs.ago when I finally woke up and realized how useless Goju Ryu is for self-defense as all traditional arts are.They're great for doing B.S katas and improving on kicking and punching air.LOL