• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do W.T.F stylists use mostly their back leg in sparring?

I"m thinking the front leg would be quick, and act as a barrier for your opponent trying to move in on you.... You can also do a front side-kick to someone who is charging in. Or you can do a front leg hook kick to someone whose head is open. Is using the front leg just not part of the sparring strategy in W.T.F sparring? Some may argue that the front leg lacks power. It is true that the back leg has more power, 'cause you transfer your weight into your kick. HOwever, using the back leg is slower, 'cause you have to travel a longer distance. Although the front leg is less powerful, you can still cause some damage to your opponent and score points. Furthermore, if you know how to properly execute a front leg kick by efficiently knowing how to torque your hips, a front leg kick can be powerful..... I believe you have to compromise speed and power when sparring. So why do W.T.F stylists love their back leg so much????

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I do WTF, and I'm a front leg kicker. Less power? For some people, but not I :D I guess it's because I trained in TSD first and my TSD instructor trained both back leg and front leg kicks. I just happened to be better at front leg kicks, so I started to spar like that. Now I spar and kick with my front leg without thinking about it.

Laurie F

With regard to sparring, I was told that in WTF sparing you had to physically move your opponent during a strike to score the point. I guess that’s why the back leg is favoured. I could be wrong. karatekid1975?

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

I guess I see front leg as much as back leg at my school. Front tends to set up back for scoring so you see that opening move alot. Which is nice for me as I love the back kick counter to a leading leg round kick! :brow:

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

With regard to sparring, I was told that in WTF sparing you had to physically move your opponent during a strike to score the point. I guess that’s why the back leg is favoured. I could be wrong.

No, you are correct John.

In sport WTF TKD, they emphasize power rather than speed. True, the opponent must be visibly moved by the force of an unblocked strike in order for a point to be awarded. And this may be the reason why their sparring techniques tend to be limited to those kicks that generate the most power and where you will mostly see a back leg roundhouse to the body as well as reverse kicks.

Yes, but front leg kicks done well can still score and should not be overlooked. Even if they do not score, they can be used as a set up to a scoring shot.

How does ITF sparring work? Legal moves, how hard do you need to hit, round times, etc? Maybe we need another thread for that though...

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

John G wrote:

That's right. The new WTF rules are, if your opponent blocks a kick, but you still move them, you still get the point. But the kick has to be powerful enough to knock them back, or make the "blocker" hit themselves. Like if you kick them, they block, and you make their arm it their own vest, you get the point. Kinda hard to explain. But, yea,your are right. Eventhough I have "moved" my opponents with front leg kicks.

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, TKD, sparring gets even sillier. I suppose none of the judges ever though that the opponent may move back on his own as to absorb the force of the kick?

I use to be really good at TKD sparring. I could move 200 lb guys with both back and front legs. Only problem was, I couldn't do it on the street.