• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Escrima sticks

ZeRo

hi everyone, ive resently become very interested in escrima sticks after doing some drills in class. anyone here know any good sites for techniques or drills? im also quite interested in buying some so if anyone knows where i could get my hands on some good quality ones (from the UK please) id be very happy.

does anyone else on this board have any experience in escrima sticks?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Mike:

I've dabbled in Serrada escrima with a buddy of mine who is very proficient in that form of stick fighting. Essentially, the length of the stick is anywhere from 21 to 24 inches, making it an in-close form of escrima. Like many of the different styles of escrima, it has the 12 angles of attacks, and then it has a number of counters, disarms, etc.

If you are looking for some sticks, try to find some that are "fire hardened" and with the skin and notches in them. They tend to last longer, but as we all know if you use them constantly and bang 'em around good, they'll eventually wear out.

Depending on the form of escrima your learning will depend on the length of the stick or the thickness of it's diameter. Some forms of escrima, also known as Arnis or Kali use a longer stick or thicker stick. Good luck in your training!

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Remy Presas, the Grandmaster of Modern Arnis, now deceased has a book out titled "Modern Arnis". It a pretty good book. I believe you can find it in many of the big name bookstores or martial arts magazine. Also there are books out by Mark Wiley who writes about the Filipino Martial Arts, as well as Cabales Serrada Eskrima. His books are published by Tuttle Co.

As far as videos go, I've seen the ones put out by Blackbelt magazine featuring Presas, but was not impressed by them. It seemed rushed, or poorly written and performed for instructional purposes. One video that I thought was good was the one featuring Edgar Sulite, put out by Unique publications. You'll find it in the Inside Kung-Fu magazines. Of course these are two different systems of stick fighting, but both have things to offer.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• 2 weeks later...
to me a average person wont get in a fight and if they do it wont come down to weapons your best weapons for a street fight is avoidance dont go were theres fight you wont get in one but if somethin does happen use the best 9 weapons you have head,2 fists, 2 feet, 2 knees, 2 elbows.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate