• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA Hall of Fame 2003

If you could pick one individual to be inducted into the MA hall of Fame for 2003 .... who would it be and why???

Here are just some choices/suggestions:

Dan Anderson Buck, Sam Kong, Cecil Peoples, Bill Ryusaki,

Billy Blanks, Sho Kosugi, Jerry Poteet, Paul de Thouras,

Graciella Casillas, Wing Lam, Alvin Prouder, Donnie Williams,

Adam Hsu, Lily Lau, Chan Pui, Ark Y. Wong,

Gen. Choi Hung, Hi Albert Leong, Stuart Quan, Doc Fai Wong,

Howard Jackson, Kathy Long, Philip Rhee, Byong Yu,

Ji Han Jae, Carrie Ogawa-Wong, Simon Rhee,

Shintaro Katsu, Gerald Okamura, Lilly Rodriguez ....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I am a little biased. But I would choose one of my Sensei.

Sensei K Williams created a style Aikido style for the western mind. Making hard concepts easy to understand. The most deadly man I have ever met, but also the nicest.

Going from no students to thousands. And instilling me with awe and amazement everytime I see him demostrate.

http://www.kifedgb.force9.co.uk/contents.html

But then I would choose any individual that made one good student a great student. :)

Just like Kensai, I would have to choose my instructor (and friend), Sensei Albie O'Connor.

Why? Maybe he hasn't starred in 12 box office movies. Maybe he hasn't won the WKF sparring title. Maybe he hasn't entered NHB fighting and kicked Gracie's ass..............but he has done something a lot more important to me - he inspired/inspires me to continue martial arts.

That's important to me.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

i would have to chose philip gelinas

because he has never stopped learning and improving the martial arts community, philip is one of dan inosantos top students and friends, he holds the following ranks

8th degree black in kajukenbo, (hard style)

4th degree black in kajukenbo (chuan fa)

black belt in kenpo karate,

guro in kuntao silat and maphilindo silat

instructo in muay thai (chai sirsute)

full instructor in jkd

purple belt in bjj

intructor in kali ( also he was a dog brother)

he has numerous instructors under him and for all his effort to expand the martial arts i applaud him

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

I would have to say my TSD instructor. He was tough, drilled proper technique, big on self defense, ect, but yet he was/is a friend. I was scared of him on the dojang floor. But when he was in street clothes hangin out after class, he would BS about anything, crack jokes, and talk to you like a person. Very nice guy. If you had a problem, he would talk to you privately, and not yell at you during class (unless it was to push you to do better during class).

Laurie F

I'd say my instructor but he's already in there :).

I'm not sure who else I'd choose. I haven't really gotten to know many prolific martial artists. I hear very good things about some of the instructors at an Aikido school in DC where my employer trains.

Was this thread supposed to be about people we personally know or people more in the public eye?

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

I don't know anyone in the public eye very well so I can't really nominate someone from there. From personal experience I'd say my Aki Jujitsu instructor, but he really doesn't need that extra distinction when he holds the respect of his class so well.