• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

These are some thoughts I jotted down one day while I was reading a book on Aikido. The passages just caught me and caused me to think about things more, and it helps to write it down. It also makes it easy to share here with everyone and see the thoughts of others with more experience than me.

Notes on reading Aikido and the Harmony of Nature, by Mitsugi Saotome:

3/29/2024, reading pg. 191 about Shomenuchi Ikkyo:

…you must see the movement of your partner’s center and deal not with his hand, but with the direction of his force.

I guess I never thought of defending a kick or a punch this way. But in sparring, techniques come at you so fast, one can get overwhelmed. I will try to focus more on this concept, and not just think about blocking a strike. The strike coming at you is a concrete thing; the idea of the direction of the force seems more an abstract way of thinking about it. In the end, perhaps it simplifies things? Instead of thinking about how to defend a side kick or a front kick or a straight punch, think about the direction of the force, which these three different strikes produce a similar direction of force. Defend that direction of force. Also important here is to pay attention to their center, and how you can affect it through defense. If I only deal with the striking tool, I leave myself to the mercy of the other striking tools, whereas if I deal with the center, I can perhaps better control the other striking tools.

…without conflict, without impact, you must first connect with the attacking arm by joining it’s direction.

The passage then goes on to talk about subtly changing that direction.

Sensei Brandon has referred to this as “blending.” I will try to see it more when I train.

Saotome wrote about some class teaching experiences in which he’d focus on a particular movement or feeling (like a particular technique). He said the beginners will be the ones really conscious of the point he made, but the more advanced students, who have done it more, are often filled with preconceptions of what the technique should be. He stated, “that they have forgotten how to see.” This makes me think of complacency. I’m sure I do this in my Taekwondo training, but I do it less in Aikido right now, as it is still fresh and new, and I can view things through “the eyes of a beginner.”

3/30/2024, reading pg. 197 about de-ai, “the meeting”:

Be aware of not only your center and your partner’s center, but also be aware of the center of the combination of the two.

Sensei Brandon talks often about using our center when doing techniques, keeping weight under center and the like. As a new student trying to get techniques down, I find myself thinking of what I’m doing or what I’m doing wrong all the time. I try to keep track of where my center is, but thinking about the center of the two of us is going to be difficult. But I’m going to try to make the effort to be cognizant of it. I think once I get the hang of keeping my center where I want it, being aware of the center of both of us will come more easily (yet still be difficult!).[/i]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Great topic, Brian; thanks for sharing it. I've not read this specific book; might be worth the gander.

Many think that Aikido is ineffective, whereas I think that Aikido is another methodology/ideology that is effective, and imho, what's ineffective is not the style, but the practitioner.

My thoughts...

…you must see the movement of your partner’s center and deal not with his hand, but with the direction of his force.

This is akin to what's taught in basketball 101. In basketball, if the defender watches their opponents center, and not the hands, the defender can see everywhere the opponent is moving, thus, not being faked-out. Where the center of the opponent goes, so does the body.

Same thing applies to the MA. We concentrate primarily at the attackers' center, with the occasional glimpse here and there as mere visual checks. By concentrating at the attackers' center, one can see the whole picture, therefore, feints, for example, are easier decerned.

…without conflict, without impact, you must first connect with the attacking arm by joining it’s direction.

This seems to be one of Aikido's modus operandi. Allowing the force to continue without resisting it, therefore, using the attackers force against them. Like the saying goes..."Why fight it?!".

To me, it's akin to what we do in Shindokan. Allowing our attacker to move into our space of their own volition, of which, we turn their advance against them. For us, it aides us in getting behind our attacker, which IS our modus operandi.

Be aware of not only your center and your partner’s center, but also be aware of the center of the combination of the two.

For sure!! Without our combined centers being in concert with one another, there can be no awareness, and awareness of how both can, might, and/or will move in any given direction(s).

One can't move without the other detecting said movement(s) and/or any given intent. Bruce Lee speaks about just that, and to the immediate quote above...

“A good fight should be like a small play, but played seriously. A good martial artist does not become tense, but ready. Not thinking, yet not dreaming. Ready for whatever may come. When the opponent expands, I contract. When he contracts, I expand. And when there is an opportunity, I do not hit. It hits all by itself.”~Bruce Lee

It's Bruce's quote, the two centers are in combination of one another. Who comes out the victor?? Perhaps then the combined centers brought the juxtaposed fight to light.

Imho!!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thank you for the responses, Bob. I'm glad you liked the post.

I should clarify, when sparring and defending in TKD, I typically pay attention to the center of the opponent's body. Trying to focus on one arm or one leg is sure way to end getting hit or kicked by the other. The direction of the force part of it is what was a little more enlightening to me. I've been doing TKD for so long that when say a round kick comes in, I just block it without much thought. I want to stop the kick. But understanding how the force is brought is really important in the defense or movement, which I will try to be more cognizant of.

I appreciate the transition into the Bruce Lee quote. Makes a lot of sense.

Thank you for the responses, Bob. I'm glad you liked the post.

I should clarify, when sparring and defending in TKD, I typically pay attention to the center of the opponent's body. Trying to focus on one arm or one leg is sure way to end getting hit or kicked by the other. The direction of the force part of it is what was a little more enlightening to me. I've been doing TKD for so long that when say a round kick comes in, I just block it without much thought. I want to stop the kick. But understanding how the force is brought is really important in the defense or movement, which I will try to be more cognizant of.

I appreciate the transition into the Bruce Lee quote. Makes a lot of sense.

I am curious to hear if you notice a change in your TKD as a result of taking on some of the Aikido philosophies - will you block slightly differently / move a little differently? Or in training will they be discrete entities?

Great question. I'm already seeing things here and there that I can cross over. I think where I'd see the most carryover between the two is in applications. Unfortunately, our school doesn't cover a lot of applications. However, as I explore and do things on my own, I see things cross over.

As an example, in TKD class during basics, we'll do a standard turn-in-place when in front stance to go the other way down the floor. I can apply that turn at times in Aikido techniques, making sure I use my hips to generate power in the turn and get momentum going, balance broken, etc.

The more and more I see these things, the more I'll try to share my discoveries here.

Great question. I'm already seeing things here and there that I can cross over. I think where I'd see the most carryover between the two is in applications. Unfortunately, our school doesn't cover a lot of applications. However, as I explore and do things on my own, I see things cross over.

As an example, in TKD class during basics, we'll do a standard turn-in-place when in front stance to go the other way down the floor. I can apply that turn at times in Aikido techniques, making sure I use my hips to generate power in the turn and get momentum going, balance broken, etc.

The more and more I see these things, the more I'll try to share my discoveries here.

I look forward to reading it when you do :) Always good to hear what a high level practitioner in one style finds when blending with another style