• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Win in Your Head, Win in Your Heart, Win on the Mat

Win in Your Head, Win in Your Heart, Win on the Mat

3/29/2024

“Win in your head, win in your heart, win on the mat,” was a pre-match tradition I started with my oldest son when he was a young wrestler, and I share this tradition with my youngest son as he wrestles. The saying was meant to inspire them in their preparation for matches, and although it held meaning for us through wrestling, it applies to other athletic endeavors as well, especially other martial arts performances. It has always held meaning for me and my boys, but I wanted to finally put it on paper. As I describe each aspect, I’ll do so in a wrestling context, but know that it can easily apply to other martial arts.

Win in Your Head

This covers the physical aspect of the physical endeavor. This means you need to know you have the knowledge to compete, which comes from practice. Drilling takedowns, stand-ups, switches, reversals, turks, etc, until you know you can make them work. This drilling should build “physical confidence,” or the ability to perform the techniques confidently and effectively. This confidence should also allow you to make adjustments to the techniques or to other techniques as necessary.

Win in Your Heart

This covers the mental and spiritual aspects of the physical endeavor. You have to know in your heart that you can compete. Don’t look at the size of your opponent. Be confident in your physical abilities so far and know you can win. Don’t lose your match before you even start it. To quote Dan Millman, “If you face just one opponent and doubt yourself, you’re out-numbered.” Embrace the spirit of competition with another human being. You honor each other by facing each other. Embrace the fires of adversity, bathe in them, and grow stronger.

Win on the Mat

This is where it all comes together. All the blood, sweat, tears, meditation, and focus come together as you pit yourself against another person. Let your body do what you’ve trained it to do. Let your heart fuel you. You’ve trained yourself with the moves to win. You’ve seen yourself win through visualization and actualization. You know in your heart you can win. Now it all comes together.

It’s a rather brief dissertation, but I hope others can find some meaning and inspiration in these words as they move through their training journey and their life.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

bushido_man96,

I like it. It covers all the aspects of preparation and execution.

To me it also shows that preparation holds the most weight (with 2 of the 3 sayings directly relating to preparation: head and heart). An old Army boss and mentor of mine always said, "everyone wants to succeed, but not everyone wants to put in the time in preparation to succeed."

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)