• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

rare version of naihanchi kata

Has anyone else heard of or seen naihanchi kata with open-hand techniques instead of the usual closed fist? What style/ryuha has it and how does this open-hand version relate to the “regular “ kata? Are there three of them or just one?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Has anyone else heard of or seen naihanchi kata with open-hand techniques instead of the usual closed fist? What style/ryuha has it and how does this open-hand version relate to the “regular “ kata? Are there three of them or just one?

I do 3 Nahanchi kata. The first 2 both have open handed strikes/blocks. Do you have a video?

Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito/Orthodox (we call it Kenpo now)

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

There is the "Naihanchi Ju no Kata" that, as far as I know, is a creation of Shimabukuro Katsuyuki:

He was a student of Chibana Chosin and Higa Yuchoku, both of whom did not teach Naihanchi this way.

Aside from that, there are some additional open-handed techniques in the Isshin-Ryu version of Naihanchi:

https://youtu.be/MnJis1yIVLA?si=47jkvYixLvE55Qqi

I have also seen open-handed versions in a particular branch of Shito-Ryu:

Personally, I see all of these as being personal interpretations of the kata, rather than historical versions. Granted, that is partially because both of them are post-Itosu creations, and older versions (KishimotoDi, Matsumura Seito, and Tomari-Te) don't use these methods. I do, occasionally, play with using open hands in many of my kata, including Naihanchi, and I assume I'm not the only one. It certainly has value, even if it isn't historically accurate.

For what it's worth, though, KishimotoDi's Tachimura no Naihanchi DOES use open-handed gedan-barai, where other versions use closed fists:

Edited by Wastelander

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

This is the closest to what I do. Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Which techniques are open-hand instead of using a fist?

Unfortunately, none of my sensei I trained under taught me the names of any individual techniques. Blocks were hand, outside, inside, down and up blocks.

sorry.