• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too close for comfort story

The club I train at now uses a room in a church the instructor is an elder. It's in a pretty rough city, but it has a fenced in parking lot, and I can keep an eye on my car from inside. No concerns the last 6 months I've been training there. But with the warmer weather, people are hanging around, partying in the lot next door, on the corner. No cops in sight- this is the hood.

We train Tu-Th nights. Well, I read online, last Wed.s night there was a double homicide on the corner- car crashed, air bags went off, both occupants were discovered shot dead. No suspects. My guess is some kind of gang violence.

I'll keep training there, but I am a little spooked. Hapkido won't stop speeding cars and flying bullets!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
The club I train at now uses a room in a church the instructor is an elder. It's in a pretty rough city, but it has a fenced in parking lot, and I can keep an eye on my car from inside. No concerns the last 6 months I've been training there. But with the warmer weather, people are hanging around, partying in the lot next door, on the corner. No cops in sight- this is the hood.

We train Tu-Th nights. Well, I read online, last Wed.s night there was a double homicide on the corner- car crashed, air bags went off, both occupants were discovered shot dead. No suspects. My guess is some kind of gang violence.

I'll keep training there, but I am a little spooked. Hapkido won't stop speeding cars and flying bullets!

Stay safe.

Do you have a CCW? I don't know the laws where you are but many martial artists I have trained with over the years (and some who still do) have extensive firearm training. I've had three sensei's (one a retired cop) who carry nearly everywhere despite decades of MA experience.

Oof, that's intense. Stay safe, and bring some pepper spray or a TASER or something similar if you begin to get bad vibes.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

By all means, stay safe. Even if that might mean to leave where you're training at now with the hopes of finding a more saver place to train. I know, it's far easier said than done, however, everything is replaceable except for you.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Went back to class last night. The corner lot where the incident occurred is now completely vacant, no cars, no hangers-on. and a For Sale sign posted. I think nobody wants to stick around to answer questions from the cops.! So that's that.